Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY Times article - "Perfect 10? Never Mind That. Ask Her for Her Credit Score."

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

NY Times article - "Perfect 10? Never Mind That. Ask Her for Her Credit Score."

MyFICO forums is specifically mentioned in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/business/even-cupid-wants-to-know-your-credit-score.html?hp

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: NY Times article - "Perfect 10? Never Mind That. Ask Her for Her Credit Score."

A lot of drama, pain, and annoying life issues could be avoided if people asked for FICO scores before getting serious.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Re: NY Times article - "Perfect 10? Never Mind That. Ask Her for Her Credit Score."

Very good article.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 3 of 16
voodookid

"If You’re Looking for Love, You Better Have a Good Credit Score "

http://jezebel.com/5971207/if-youre-looking-for-love-you-better-have-a-good-credit-score

Edit: I moved this article under Tinu's post as this is a blog / comment which directly quotes the NYT article. --Rev

Message 4 of 16
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: "If You’re Looking for Love, You Better Have a Good Credit Score "

I would have thought the Relationships and Money forum is the place to discuss this stuff rather than having the thread there reply-disabled.

Message 5 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

I would have thought the Relationships and Money forum is the place to discuss this stuff rather than having the thread there reply-disabled.

Can't discuss it neutrally there, LOL!

No one is gonna say they should have checked out SO's finances before getting married, especially considering how half us are in some stage of rebuilding ourselves, LOL!

Message 6 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

Awesome article! It's going to be discussed on my blog one of these days. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Awesome article! It's going to be discussed on my blog one of these days. Smiley Happy

Anonymously, I hope. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

I realize that this does relate to Relationships and Money, but since this is a link to a news article it seemed to me that Credit in the News was the most appropriate place to put it.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I've read through a good number of readers' replies to the article. Sadly, the comments demonstrate a good deal of misunderstanding of how credit scores work. Also, many people are holding to the idea that all you really need in a relationship is romance, and everything else will magically work out (and they lived happily ever after). With the divorce rate so high, and disagreements over money being such a major factor in marital stress, it's amazing how many people don't even want to consider the issue when looking at potential life partners. I'm not suggesting writing off a potential partner based soley on score, but I think it's a very good idea to discuss the issue. This way, people can see if they have compatible attitudes towards financial issues such as saving/spending, paying bills on time, future financial goals, etc. I do think that much heartache can be avoided if people who are considering each other as potential life partners were open about discussing these matters before tieing the knot.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.