cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYT: CA County Considering Radical New Policy on Underwater Mortgages: Seize Them by Eminent Domain

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

NYT: CA County Considering Radical New Policy on Underwater Mortgages: Seize Them by Eminent Domain

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/us/a-county-considers-rescue-of-underwater-homes.html?src=recg

I'm not sure what I think of this idea!

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: NYT: CA County Considering Radical New Policy on Underwater Mortgages: Seize Them by Eminent Dom

It's bad news .... another effort to prop up the market when it needs to find its true level.  Many homeowners just can't afford their homes, they have to move out so someone else can buy the property at it's true value.  This new plan will not work.

Message 2 of 4
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: NYT: CA County Considering Radical New Policy on Underwater Mortgages: Seize Them by Eminent Dom

@Watchmann wrote:

It's bad news .... another effort to prop up the market when it needs to find its true level.  Many homeowners just can't afford their homes, they have to move out so someone else can buy the property at it's true value.  This new plan will not work.

You may well be right.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

First things first: we have to kill, and bury 6' deep, the idea that one's home is their retirement savings. Reality changed and people can't buy more house than they can afford with the hope of growing into it, cashing out at retirement, take out equity, the market going up, or whatever other rationalizations people used in the past that semi-legitimized the practice.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.