Established Contributor
Watchmann

New Bias Charges Against FICO Scores ..... unfair to minorities

[ Edited ]

Interesting article from Investor's Business Daily ..... evidently our government is going to target FICO scores as being biased against minorities.  Looks like more easy credit will be coming their way, courtesy of continued government meddling.  And I always thought a FICO was based on an analysis of how likely you were to pay your credit obligations, regardless of who you were and where you came from.:

http://news.investors.com/article/618147/201207131919/fair-credit-zealots-on-war-path-against-fico.h...

Senior Contributor
drkaje

Re: New Bias Charges Against FICO Scores ..... unfair to minorities

This is horrifically bad news for everyone. This has nothing to do with minorities and means the economy isn't rebounding anytime ever!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
cassembler

I see poor credit for a given ethnic group as a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself. The causes are complex factors like education consumption, culture, and public service quality. Didn't anyone read Freakinomics?

Treating symptoms (in contrast with treating root causes) is a recipe for inefficiency at best.

"Credit is purely a cash flow tool. Thinking of credit as extra money you didn't have before makes it an EXPENSIVE cash flow tool."
Senior Contributor
drkaje

Fairness is why a lot of people hate so much, LOL!

Contributor
greeneman21

[ Edited ]

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 25k--NFCU Plat 22k-- USAA AMEX 24k-- USAA World MC 12k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 21k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Super Contributor
marty56

[ Edited ]

Common sense tells us this could never be true.  Even if the formula did have an input for race, where did it come from?  You CR doesn't even know your sex or religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Sadly many people will buy this as true, it's never their fault.

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752
Frequent Contributor
cassembler

[ Edited ]

greenman21 wrote:

I'm an African american and find that offensive. Racial my ass, get off your ass, find a job and pay your bills, its that simple. Credit Bureaus don't measure your income or race (unless there is something I don't know), but how you manage credit and debt. This sounds more like an educational subject rather than credit issue. Looking at the facts here, but to say the average African American has lower credit scores doesn't tell the whole story, we also have the highest crime rate, by far the highest % of our race in jail, highest % of single families and the list goes on.

Absolutely. Again, the correlation is just that: a correlation. Statistics tells us that correlations are not a causal relationship; the scores are just a symptom of a deeper issue.

marty56 wrote:

Common sense tells us this could never be true.  Even if the formula did have an input for race, where did it come from?  You CR doesn't even know your sex or religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Sadly many people will buy this as true, it's never their fault.

Can you imagine the backlash if this was the case? "You're African American. Most FICO High Achievers are Asian, on average." That would be the end of FICO, at best.

"Credit is purely a cash flow tool. Thinking of credit as extra money you didn't have before makes it an EXPENSIVE cash flow tool."
Senior Contributor
drkaje

This is a case where FICO is being scapegoated, LOL!

I just hope things turn around soon.

Contributor
greeneman21

[ Edited ]

Great fact about Asians, having the highest credit scores, had no idea about that.

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 25k--NFCU Plat 22k-- USAA AMEX 24k-- USAA World MC 12k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 21k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Senior Contributor
drkaje

@ greenman,

Let's not totally dismiss the idea until they say how many points I'd get, LOL!

I keed! I keed!! :smileyhappy:

This being seriously discussed means a dire economic outlook, for the majority.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+