Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Bias Charges Against FICO Scores ..... unfair to minorities

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: New Bias Charges Against FICO Scores ..... unfair to minorities

@marty56 wrote:

Common sense tells us this could never be true.  Even if the formula did have an input for race, where did it come from?  You CR doesn't even know your sex or religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Sadly many people will buy this as true, it's never their fault.

Nobody is saying that the formula is biased.  People are asking for a kind of 'Affirmative Action' for FICOs when dealing with certain races..... just so black people have a better chance to succeed. 

I think this is stupid. But if they actually decide to do it anyway, however, that if they are going to give black people higher scores, they should curve the whole thing so that white people have slightly higher scores too and all races are at the same level as the Asians.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 58
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ DS,

Better chance to succeed at going into debt, LOL!

Why not take points from Asians?! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 58
greeneman21
Contributor

No reason to "give" anyone anything. The reports score whats in the file without regard for race. Its a waste of time and $ to even consider this, I'm black and find this to be total BS. You "earn" good credit by honoring your word and paying your bills on time....period.

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 13 of 58
greeneman21
Contributor

Instead they should focus more on some form of credit class that helps educate high school and college kids more on the ways of credit, both positives and ramifications if you abuse it. I mean most of us have learned a great deal on these forums, especially after most of us tanked our credit in youth due to the lack of some formal credit education.

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 14 of 58
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Would classes help?

People here get told all the time "Too many apps will drag down your score!" but they still keep at it.

Over time, people will get what this is really about. Hopefully we haven't re-bailed out a bunch of banks before the truth finally sets in.

I'm impressed, though. I thought they'd artificially stimulate more consumer debt by shortening the time CRAs can report negative information. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 58
greeneman21
Contributor

Classes would be a step in the right direction. I know while I was in college and the Air Force I had no idea how critical credit was to your financial health, including car insurance and even possible employment.

Message 16 of 58
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I am going to cover myself  on my next app.  I am going to put my nationality down as a male White, African American, Hispanic, Asian mix.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 17 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveSignal wrote:

Nobody is saying that the formula is biased.  People are asking for a kind of 'Affirmative Action' for FICOs when dealing with certain races..... just so black people have a better chance to succeed. 

Good point Dave. AA is misunderstood a lot; it's not a quota system, it just basically requires that people be able to prove they didn't discriminate against a specific protected class...

However, if we adjust the scale based on ethnicity, shouldn't we also do the same for the other protected classes? That would include age, gender, race, religious belief, family status, veteran status, disability... Ask yourself, do Catholics have better or worse credit than the Jewish? Scientologists?

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I am going to cover myself on my next app. I am going to put my nationality down as a male White, African American, Hispanic, Asian mix.

Awesome, for highest FICO boost!

Message 18 of 58
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Good point Dave. AA is misunderstood a lot; it's not a quota system, it just basically requires that people be able to prove they didn't discriminate against a specific protected class...

However, if we adjust the scale based on ethnicity, shouldn't we also do the same for the other protected classes? That would include age, gender, race, religious belief, family status, veteran status, disability... Ask yourself, do Catholics have better or worse credit than the Jewish? Scientologists?

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I am going to cover myself on my next app. I am going to put my nationality down as a male White, African American, Hispanic, Asian mix.

Awesome, for highest FICO boost!

Ironically, the financial sector's heavy realiance on Fico and internal scoring models is designed to completely remove race, gender, and inclusion in other protected classes from being factors in the loan process.

Before we had credit scoring, loan officers used to eye up credit applicants to determine if they had the right qualifications for getting loans. With the passage of anti-discrimination laws in the 1950s-1970s, banks needed to credit a system that didn't rely on qualitative judgements by loan officers. That's why banks started making heavy use of credit reporting and -- more importantly -- credit modeling to determine whether applicants received credit and the terms they received.

Message 19 of 58
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I am going to cover myself  on my next app.  I am going to put my nationality down as a male White, African American, Hispanic, Asian mix.

Awesome!  You should score well in the "FICOBAMA" algorithm...and, you can pronounce "FICOBAMA" in any way you choose.

Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.