Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Credit Card? = NO Soup for You !!

tag
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

No Credit Card? = NO Soup for You !!

Here's a sadly amusing story about how some companies treat their patrons who don't have a major credit card:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/06/no-card-no-water/

Smiley Embarassed

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: No Credit Card? = NO Soup for You !!

Not a good beginning for them. SMH.

Message 2 of 12
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

Sad, very sad..
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 3 of 12
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

I'm always amazed when companies do things like this and don't expect any kind of backlash. Yes, they are losing out on CC rewards but to deny them food and warmth? Come on. . .

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 4 of 12
bahbahd
Established Contributor

For this particular business, the airlines, I think it is because the airlines has dictated a no-cash policy simply because of two things.

1. Did not trust the attendants not to steal the cach.
  2. Did not want the over head of each flight having a "drawer change" at each destination/departure.  This would require money safes at each airport in an office location where all drawers are reconsiled and sent back out. Also could require armed guards, money handlers, book keepers, and most of all time & pay.
Message 5 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Wouldn't it have been easier for these people to bring their own items, instead of relying on the airline? I've never flown, but I am sure you can bring your own blanket and beverages. The comment about not drinking water leading to death is a huge hyperbole for the situation. The airline isn't going to break policy because one person wants to follow their own rules.
Message 6 of 12
mauve
Valued Contributor

You can only bring beverages you've purchased after security.

ETA in the US. Also, those items are typically included on most airlines, and "no cash" is an unusual policy, so I could totally see people being unprepared for that.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

@mauve wrote:

You can only bring beverages you've purchased after security.

ETA in the US. Also, those items are typically included on most airlines, and "no cash" is an unusual policy, so I could totally see people being unprepared for that.

I always take an empty bottle with me and get water from a water fountain in the security area.

It is commonplace for airlines to not accept cash payments onboard. If the flight attendant was nice he/she could've given the passenger free food and water as a one-time courtesy. That Norwegian airline must be really cheap.

Message 8 of 12
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

@mauve wrote:

Actually "no cash" is the norm on flights.  I fly every week for work and have for 3 years.  none of the airlines take cash on the flights.  Water though is usually free (that surprised me) 

BUT seeing as how this was a child and yes 15 is still a kid.  If the child was traveling alone I think they should have made an exception.  A kid is NOT going to have a credit card.  Now if the child was traveling with a parent then well I hate to be the rude one here but rules are rules.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 9 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moved to Credit in the News.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.