Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Credit History? No Problem. Lenders Are Looking at Your Phone Data

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

No Credit History? No Problem. Lenders Are Looking at Your Phone Data

I have no comment on this story other than I'm glad I don't use a contract cell phone (I use a monthly prepaid because its much cheaper and buy my own unlocked phones)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-25/no-credit-history-no-problem-lenders-now-peering-...

...Fair Isaac Corp., whose FICO scores are the world’s most-used credit ratings, partnered up last month with startups Lenddo and EFL Global Ltd. to use mobile-phone information to help facilitate loans for small businesses and individuals in India and Russia....

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Credit History? No Problem. Lenders Are Looking at Your Phone Data

Your friend's comment has been approved by our underwriter for a new line of credit. Amazing...
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

**pulls out tin foil hat... what if credit scores are used to measure popularity and social status in the future... wait they already are.

Message 3 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I guess this could be helpful for a subset of people, but I can see how it can be quite problematic (as well as easy to 'game'). 

In my own case I'm not a heavy mobile phone user, and many the people I do call don't have great credit - it would certainly be unfortunate if I were to be judged based on their financial habits. 

I can also see how it would be easy to get a list of friends/coworkers with great credit and call them often and purposely avoid calling people with known bad credit to get the "score" to increase.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.