Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
stan_the_man

Re: Not Good - Consumer agency backs down on card fees

Revelate wrote:

95+75=170.

So if 30% of their people basically run up $300 and then don't pay it, that may well be reasonable.  At their strata, they're extending credit to some folks who do exactly that... and I know for one subprime lender I worked at, 30% default rate was a fact of life at one point.

It's actually worse! First Premier's charge off rate is 40%:

http://www.argusleader.com/assets/pdf/DF177153721.PDF

(see page 9)

Established Contributor
stan_the_man

pipeguy wrote:

Revelate wrote:

95+75=170.

So if 30% of their people basically run up $300 and then don't pay it, that may well be reasonable.  At their strata, they're extending credit to some folks who do exactly that... and I know for one subprime lender I worked at, 30% default rate was a fact of life at one point.

Perhaps in that one case, however national default rates (MC/V/AE & Disc) including major sub-prime lender Capital One, are running less than 3% and no more than 5% for the 4th Qtr of 2011 and 1st Qtr of 2012 - nowhere near 30%. First Premier actually reined in their up front charges, they used to be much higher where a $300 CL had maybe $50 to $75 available credit after up front fees plus no grace period on 36% or more APR interest. I don't care how high the expected default rate is, that's just plain Mod Cut of their captive customer base.  

Capitol One may serve sup-prime borrowers, but that is not their only customer base like First Premier -- so comparing their default rates is not exactly apples to apples. Also, it appears that you are quote a monthly default rate (I wish I knew how to annualize it):

http://www.trefis.com/stock/cof/articles/106339/credit-card-default-rates-rise-in-january-for-capita...

Senior Contributor
drkaje

Not that knowing would improve my life, but it would be interesting to know what the default rate is by credit score. I never trust numbers like that until getting some idea as to how they were arrived at.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+