Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent and Cable Bills

tag
dsw283
New Contributor

Rent and Cable Bills

Not sure if this is already being talked about or not on here, but I found this interesting.  I haven't seen a post on this already but this is something to monitor.  Supposedly there is a bill in congress at the moment, that is proposing to add rent, cable bills, and utility bills to credit scores, heres the link.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/should-credit-scores-include-rent-and-cable-bills-2013-10-21?siteid...

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Cprman
Contributor

Re: Rent and Cable Bills

Interesting article. My fear would just too much information could get messed up. For people that say move once a year or frequently, you cancel old utilities, start new ones. I feel lots of chances for errors. And good luck contesting a derog with an old landlord, yikes that could be ugly. It seems to me a credit score should be based on how you manage credit.

5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 2 of 17
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I heard about it on the radio.  It will make things harder in the future for some if it passes.  It wont bother me, but i know people it will for sure...

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 3 of 17
Sensey
New Visitor

The bill referred to here is H.R. 6363 Credit Access and Inclusion Act, introduced in the previous Congress by Ohio (16th district) Republican James Renacci.  It does not appear to have gone anywhere as it was referred to committee - (does not say which one) - and was never taken up.  Thus far, no one has reintroduced it in the current Congress.  Perhaps someone might contact his office to see if there is still any interest in doing so, but as it has not happened, the matter appears to be dead.

Message 4 of 17
EI

The passage of this law will raise the bar on FICO scores. Those whose lives are blessed in every way will enter an ultra-elite FICO class. Darwinism will ratchet up the price of admission to the privileges of a perfect FICO score, while those who thought they were "sitting pretty" may fall by the wayside.

Message 5 of 17
starry1
Valued Contributor

I think its just a way to make the poor even poorer by paying more for everything. I don't know that many people who wouldn't bat an eye at a $400 heating bill in the winter, and certainly not the people who are barely making ends meet anyway.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 6 of 17
toiletland
New Visitor

Does seem like there will be a lot of errors but certainly very important information when extending credit.  Hope they do add it.

Message 7 of 17
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

I don't see it happening, it'd be extremely unpopular and expensive.
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 8 of 17
down_n_out
Contributor

Delinquent utilities already go to collection agencies. Isn't that enough stress? And anything negative even crooked apartments who try to get away with murder by charging fake clean up fees and repairs when you move out. Even when you do a walk through. Hell I even had them give me a great reference letter for paying on time and the same crooks tried to bill me for clean up from damage they caused.
Message 9 of 17
Spiffylooks
New Visitor

KoolDev, May I know how well you enjoy your navy fed credit card. I intend applying for one and I do have a credit score in the high 600s with a zero balance on all other store cards and credit card. My credit history is 5 years old. How much credit limit did navy fed offer you?  did you recently started building yours since u were at 538 and seem to have done so well with your score?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.