Valued Contributor
my-own-fico

Retirement and the stock market

With Retirement Savings, It’s a Sprint to the Finish
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/your-money/401ks-and-similar-plans/22money.html

A really interesting mechanism, I think: "Save and invest diligently for 30 years, then cross your fingers and pray your investments will double over the last decade before you retire." And amusing comparing it to making prepayments to wrap up the mortgage.

Also depends on how soon you start withdrawing regularly from your investment account. An amazing 3/4 of Social Security filers last year took their benefits early, and not primarily because they intended to reinvest the money.

Then there's depletion. Substantial withdrawals when the stocks are low leave less for when the market rebounds. I guess it could make sense withdrawing extra during good times.

When it comes to wishful thinking vs reality, wishful thinking wins.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+