Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUSPECTS BUY $15K AT TARGET W/ STOLEN CREDIT CARD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SUSPECTS BUY $15K AT TARGET W/ STOLEN CREDIT CARD

I guess if the both of you worked at or knows someone who works at target or worked at target recently you're better versed than us on this.

I just know that when a colleague suffered a loss in the thousands, it took a lot for the manager not to get him fired, because he was well liked.

I also know that from working in retail, even just a few hundred/thousand in charge back/potential fraud would have my managers scrambling to make sure that they have their paperwork--to submit and that was with the michael kors, MBMJ, coach, Kate spade..like boutique.

Either way, it would be a tough one to explain because 15k in retail gift cards is not usual, no matter how you spin it.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

15k in gift cards? Yeah I witnessed someone buying 1,000 in giftcards during the holidays at the supermarket and they gave the woman a hard time for that. She even had her license out to show them it was really her. She was buying giftcards for all her grandkids.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
15k in gift cards? Yeah I witnessed someone buying 1,000 in giftcards during the holidays at the supermarket and they gave the woman a hard time for that. She even had her license out to show them it was really her. She was buying giftcards for all her grandkids.

Thats why Amex came out with blue bird Smiley Very Happy

They also came out with a new Serve 1% cash back prepaid debit card. Wonder if thats better than Discover cash back checking Smiley Indifferent

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honest question here because I am curious...

If they know the gift cards were fraudalently purchased, I assume they could be cancelled then?  How exactly is this "zeroed" out?  Essentially, who eats the cost of this $15,000?

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the answer to this one, the stolen CCs company will eat the charges. I asked the same question about VOIDING the prepaid cards after the sale, Target said it was almost impossible to do.

I have been involved in exactly this situaiton where a team member was "buying gift cards" (basically loading the cards and not collecting the money). She started at $50 1x, then after a week it was $100 3-4x a week and at the $8000 mark she did two $500 transactions within 10 minutes.

she left the store with the cards (Target allowed this to happen) a police report was filed and she was fired. Sheriffs office put out an arrest warrant, but she fled the state.

Target cant press (depending on where they are) without catching them red handed. they had been watching her for weeks, but the last time she did it they said "ok, if she does it today, we will grab her and let the cops come get her" but she didn't and she was just termed.

Message 15 of 19
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

Lets say this. I knew someone who had 4k in credit card purchases from fraud ran through there card a while back and this was during the seasonl time period. It turned out to be fraud and target had the person file a police report, nothing happened to that teammember and they werent fired. The only way to my knowlege to get fired is if the cashier is in cahoots with the person or target has proof that they took money. but then again every situation is different and honestly if I was that cashier. Id just ask my manager to be sure so then the water is off my back.

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lukepwnsall wrote:

Lets say this. I knew someone who had 4k in credit card purchases from fraud ran through there card a while back and this was during the seasonl time period. It turned out to be fraud and target had the person file a police report, nothing happened to that teammember and they werent fired. The only way to my knowlege to get fired is if the cashier is in cahoots with the person or target has proof that they took money. but then again every situation is different and honestly if I was that cashier. Id just ask my manager to be sure so then the water is off my back.

I would have swore working i retail in the past....any transaction about a certain amount like that would need a manager to put in their key or authorization code. 

Message 17 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

When I worked at Kohl's, we were told we were employed to process transactions, not police them.  If they purchased, and the card went through....that was that.  

Target isn't responsible for this loss, but they may be able to assist because those card's are numbered.  Possibly they are on file internally?  It's also possible that this thief is selling them on eBay or Craigslist for a little discount. 

Message 18 of 19
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honest question here because I am curious...

If they know the gift cards were fraudalently purchased, I assume they could be cancelled then?  How exactly is this "zeroed" out?  Essentially, who eats the cost of this $15,000?

This is an interesting question. I would say the CCC that allowed the charges. But what if say it wasn't Target that this happened to. Living in the post EMV switch world, if it was a chipped card that was "stolen" because of a data hack, and then used for 15K of giftcards at a store that didn't have EMV, would the store that sold the giftcards be liable for that? Or the store that allowed the data breech and for these cards to be stolen?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.