Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sapphire Reserve Cards Aren’t Very Rewarding for J.P. Morgan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sapphire Reserve Cards Aren’t Very Rewarding for J.P. Morgan

A good arcticle on the CSR.

"Some at J.P. Morgan are raising concerns that Sapphire Reserve won’t make money for the bank, due in part to high demand and the card’s generous rewards. Meanwhile, the lender is pushing for about $200 million in fresh cost cuts in the unit that oversees the card, people familiar with the matter say.

The scrutiny inside the bank reflects changing economics of the competitive premium card market. Rewards for consumers—paid for by the bank—have gotten sweeter. Spenders, meanwhile, are growing savvier about maximizing benefits and avoiding balances that pad banks’ profits. "

Link to Article:  WSJ Arcticle

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: Sapphire Reserve Cards Aren’t Very Rewarding for J.P. Morgan

Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

So many interesting things in that article, thank you for posting!

I didn't listen to the Chase call (I don't follow the financial sector at all besides broad strokes: banks happy, typically good news) but apparently it was a goldmine of things of interest to at least us credit card geeks.

        
Message 3 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hmmm. Wonder if that's why I got the green checkmark for the CSP. I've had a checkmark for the Freedom for a couple of months and have ignored it. I will ignore this one too because $450 AF is just too much.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The AF is really only 150, because of the annual 300 travel credit. That said, if you won't use that travel credit, the card is definitely not appropriate to your spending habits.

You need to spend about $6600 on travel annually before this card breaks even (assuming you have or could apply for an alternative card that has no AF and rewards 2% on travel, compared to the 4.5% effective you get from chase after redeeming the 3% rewards on travel for 1.5x points, and that the card does not beat your current cards in any other spending category)

Breakeven calculation:
AnnualFee - AnnualTravelCredit = (BreakevenTravelExpenses - (AnnualTravelCashBack + AnnualTravelCredit)) * (4.5% - 2%)
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Note that breakeven formula ignores the bonus (it's obviously worth taking for the bonus if you cancel immediately after earning it, but the more interesting question is what would make the card worth taking without the bonus)

Also note I didn't factor in transferring point from your other chase cards to that card to get the 1.5x point multiplier.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for posting this, fascinating read.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.