Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Six credit score myths debunked

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Six credit score myths debunked

Interesting article I ran across.

"Could your credit score be the key to a better life?

Although 70 percent of consumers said having good credit is the key to unlocking the "American Dream," they are getting some basic facts wrong, according to Capital One."

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/24/six-credit-score-myths-debunked.html

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

Re: Six credit score myths debunked

Myth: Holding a credit-card balance is good for your credit.

Fact: Generally it's better to pay your credit card bill in full and on-time every month. (Plus, that way, you avoid interest charges.)

Some poor person will read this, pay their revolvers to zero, and then wonder why their score dropped 20 points.

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 2 of 3
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Six credit score myths debunked

Myth: Closing unused card accounts is good for your credit.

Fact: The average age of your accounts is a significant part of your score; keeping your oldest cards open (even if you don't use them often) generally will help your score.

Of course a credit card company would state this. They don't make money if you don't keep your account open.  Besides, with the way lenders treat people nowadays, you can't exactly leave an account dormant. I recently had a line of credit closed on me because I didn't use it for a year. I had completely forgotten I even had it. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.