Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skimming devices found at gas station counter

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Skimming devices found at gas station counter

So much for paying inside instead of at the pump!

LAPD Warns of High Tech Skimming

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Skimming devices found at gas station counter

CharedUp nice catch ... an area we may have thought was secure ... WRONG!!!
Message 2 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I'm going to have to forwards that article to a buddy of mine. He's completely paranoid over getting his identity stolen, to the point where he won't ever pay for, or order anything online with a credit/debit card. 

He ALWAYS walks into the gas station to pay at the counter because he feels it's safer this way! 

Interestingly enough, with all the precautions he feels That he takes, he still got hit. He noticed a $85 dollar charge for hamburgers at Wendy's That was not his. That's a lot of beef!!

Good catch OP!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Wow. These thieves are unbelievable. Makes one scared to use their cards. I must say, though, I check my CCs and bank accts daily, and I also have alerts setup.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 9
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
Wow. These thieves are unbelievable. Makes one scared to use their cards. I must say, though, I check my CCs and bank accts daily, and I also have alerts setup.

It doesn't scare me. Check accounts often, freeze CR for added security, use alerts on your cards to send a text to your phone when purchases are made. I look it similar to a computer Virus, they can keep up all the wan't but with new ones coming out daily you still might get one.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like someone would notice such a device being present.  Not a customer, but if you're the owner or someone that's working there every day seeing a different device on the scanning unit I would think would stand out pretty obvious. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel like someone would notice such a device being present.  Not a customer, but if you're the owner or someone that's working there every day seeing a different device on the scanning unit I would think would stand out pretty obvious. 

To use the currently fashionable word, it seems pretty plain that in at least a few cases, there must be collusion going on - by which I mean that employees at at least a few of those stations must be in on the scam. Unless they were terminally stupid (which, in some cases, also can't be ruled out), I find it hard otherwise to explain how those devices, as cleverly hidden as some of them no doubt were, managed to elude detection for any considerable period of time.

Message 7 of 9
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

+1 seems that way,esp. inside the store..

Message 8 of 9
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

+1 grillandwinemaster, my Mom is the same way so like you I can't wait to let her know Fort Knox has a break in....she'll be so disappointed, won't use an ATm., pay @ pump,only uses in front of folks in store..........Like others those I have always felt some of these scams are or have inside help..

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.