cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Debt Giant Navient to Borrowers: You’re on Your Own

Student Debt Giant Navient to Borrowers: You’re on Your Own

The servicer says publicly it wants to help you pay debt. In a government lawsuit, it has a different message.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-03/student-debt-giant-navient-to-borrowers-you-re-on...

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Student Debt Giant Navient to Borrowers: You’re on Your Own

Companies are never in the interest of the consumer...Smiley Sad
(BK7 d/c-08/2013/FICO-400's) ~ 07/2017 FICO 08- EQ-669, TU-676, EX-681
Scores being held down by tons of INQ/New acts Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 4
Established Contributor

This is not a shocker. 

Trying to get them to apply my additional payments in the way I directed was always quite the hassle. 

Luckily, I can now say "was" as opposed to "is" now that I've refinanced under much more favorable terms. Smiley Happy 

Garden Club Member since 3/9/2017
Message 3 of 4
Established Contributor

VERY interesting, particuarly as I have a nearly 25-year-old debt that's been giving me fits for most of those years. I've been quietly paying it in to Navient since December 2015, after having been in a long forbearance period (during which, naturally, interest accrued), but I wonder, should this lawsuit actually go through, if I'll end up recovering anything. In any case, I'm iffy about refinancing - the total principal left is pretty small ($5,300 or so) and my monthly payment is only $73.50 at 8%, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the time and trouble to refinance with a different lender (Penfed?) at this point.

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/14, well along in rebuilding credit. FICO 12/1/17:TU 663/EX 697/EQ 688 FICO 8 (Aug 2017) or 680 FICO 9 (Penfed Sep 2017), VS 3.0 12/1/17: TU 699/EX 687/EQ 693. $33.2K revolving credit as of 11/7/17; $951 Cap One secured Platinum MC, $2000 Apple FCU Platinum Visa, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $3500 Walmart Store Card, $3500 Cap One Quicksilver MC, $4000 Care Credit, $4300 Overstock Store Card, $4500 Discover It, $7000 Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa, $10k PenFed used car loan, $5k Navient student loan. In the garden again from 10/26/17 for at least the next 3 months unless I get a really really good preapproval.
Message 4 of 4