cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sychrony/GE getting out of the finance/credit business?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sychrony/GE getting out of the finance/credit business?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2015/04/13/ge-may-divide-finance-arm-sale/25704549/

According to this article, they've already sold to Citi (Brooks Brothers and a few others) on some and may sell more to Citi and PNC and an 'unidentified large foreign' bank (Barclays?)

Interesting. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sychrony/GE getting out of the finance/credit business?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/with-ge-move-a-bounty-of-assets-up-for-grabs-1428707191

This article also mentions a 'large foreign bank with a limited US prescence' which sounds a lot like Barclays. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not terribly surprised by this.

When GE announced, what, a year ago or whenever that they were restructuring/renaming in order to allow them to focus more on their manufacturing arm, it seemed to me that selling was one of the likelier possible end results.

The big question is, for those already sold to Citi, whether or not Citi's more stringent underwriting will apply for new applications. One of the allures of Synchrony is that they were a viable option for a lot of consumers with fair credit. That could be a bummer.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like it's time to get as many Synchrony cards as possible before the big sell off Smiley Happy  

Hit those CLI chats now folks while it's still a SP.  Man, I'm gonna miss Credit Solutions.

Message 4 of 9
nick125
Valued Member

I was pretty certain that GE already spun off their retail businesses as part of Synchrony, which formed a separate publicly traded entity. I think this is refering to GE Capital, which was GE's corporate lending arm. 

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nick125 wrote:

I was pretty certain that GE already spun off their retail businesses as part of Synchrony, which formed a separate publicly traded entity. I think this is refering to GE Capital, which was GE's corporate lending arm. 

Actually reading the article, I believe you are correct.

"And last year, GE Capital spun off its private label credit card company, Synchrony Financial, in an initial public offering that raised $2.9 billion."

So that name change was more than just a name change.  GE parted ways from "Synchrony" to pave way for this strategic downsizing.  I guess things will be the same for us Synchrony cardholders.

Message 6 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

My advisor actually follows GE, it was full blown spin off.

This thread belongs in credit in the news, kjel, you know better, Smiley Wink
Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
My advisor actually follows GE, it was full blown spin off.

This thread belongs in credit in the news, kjel, you know better, Smiley Wink

GE still owns about 85% of the stock in the spinoff. They want to sell the remaining shares and not even be a stockholder in the newly formed bank which has not yet been done.

Message 8 of 9
Booboo71
Established Contributor

Probaly the Rothchilds? Oh excuse me, they already own everything everywhere!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.