Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Data Breach

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Target Data Breach

@Luscher wrote:
This can happen ANYWHERE. Always look at your statements/accounts each month.

Totally agree.

Message 11 of 19
fredd

Hi All,

Just to let you know that Macys credit cards might be one of the "other" retailers that was compromised in the Target data breach.

I discovered today that someone tried to use my Macys credit card on January 4th. The person tried to purchase $150 in goods and have them shipped to an address in Connecticut (I am on the west coast). I found this totally by accident when logging into my macys.com account to check to see if my credit card payment had been recieved. 

I saw in my "order history" that an order was placed on January 4th. It appears that the charge did not go through and was flagged for denial by Macys. I NEVER RECEVIED AY NOTIFICATION OF THIS ATTEMPT on my account by their security department! I called Macys credit services immediately and got their call center in the Phillipines.

The Rep was rude and refused to shut down my card. She said since the charge was blocked from going through, this was not "fraud". I had to push this person to finally shut down my card and demanded to be transferred to a person HERE who handles card security.

I finally got that person who was helpful and also told me to put a security alert on my credit reports which I did. The disturbing thing about this breach is that Macys is not notifying their card holders when attempts that are questionable are made on accounts - as we all know, other cards frequently do this.   Be sure and CHECK your online activity on your accounts even if your balances remain unchanged.  In my case the balance was correct but when I logged into macys.com and checked to see if my payment was received, this attempt showed in my macys.com 'order history'.

I will also add that I called back again after I placed the security alerts on my credit file with Experian.  It appears macys did a HARD inquiry on my bureaus when I requested that the card be shut down.  I luckily got in touch with someone very helpful in Consumer protection who said the hard inquiry should not have been done- and he is going to investigate that and call me back on Monday.

I believe this is part of this other breach with Target and NM.

Message 12 of 19
linux007969
Established Contributor

I got an email a few days ago from Target saying that my information may have been taken in the recent Data Breach and I was able to get a code to signup for their Credit Monitoring through Experian. I have only shopped on Target.com. I thought i had only shopped online in 2009 using my PNC debit card, but then i realized that I shopped online in 2012 using my Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa. With my PNC debit card it has been renewed in 2012 with new expiration dates, since the card was up for renewal so i think that one is safe.

With my Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa, I'm not sure, i mean i used it in 2012 so I'm not sure if I should call and get a new number just in case, and If i do I am wondering if i should just request a increase to 5k so they can upgrade me to Visa Signature which they should issue me a new account number anyway right?. Upgrading to Visa Signature would save them from having to do it later, so i'm wondering if that's the way to go?

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 13 of 19
linux007969
Established Contributor

So I submited a credit increase online sunday night and then called up early this morning before work and talked a credit analyst with FIA, and the rep pulled up my information and then said i was denied, and i asked for her to reconsider, she said sure and she placed me on hold for a "quick review" she then came back to confirm my income and i gave it to her and even said that before i had been able to list my assets such as my checking account and i gave that to her and she said even with that she is unable to approve me based on income. Smiley Sad

She then asked if there was anything else she could do for me and i said about how i got an email from Target about my information being possibably compromised  even though it was in 2012 when i last puchased something form them and "well i ws trying to kill 2 birds with one stone if you will of getting a credit increase to upgrade to a visa signature would give me a new account number anyway and would save you time and money anyway instead of having to issue cards twice."

She understood and said that if i feel that i should get a new account number then she can do it, and i said yes please. She shutdown my card imediately, reported it as Lost/Stolen said my new card will arrive within 7 to 10 days. She asked if i needed it sooner and i told her no that i had already done my spending yesterday.

I thanked her and told her how much i love them and they are great and that she had a nice voice even if she she said no to things, unlike CapOne was doing to me awhile back, she appreciated that.

Then we nicely ended the call.

On a side note I am wondering if i should have called a different number to get a true BofA Analyst insted of FIA?, eventhough they are the same, i've gotten different results with both it seems but it depends on why i'm calling. The number I called was 800-247-7975.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 14 of 19
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Between now and the Target data breach, I have been paying cash at Target. That's a bit of a hassle making a stop at some point to withdraw cash and making sure you've brought enough cash with you. Also, it rules out being able to spontaneously stop by Target to shop for things you need.

To anyone who also has abstained from paying by credit card at Target, when would it be safe to resume ? As a bit of dry humor, apparently Target already thinks it's fine now to use a credit card because the cashier's register prompted her to ask me if I'll be paying by Target card for a purchase a few days ago.

Message 15 of 19
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

"Will Target’s Lawsuit Finally Expose the Failings of Security Audits?"

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2014/03/trustwave-target-audit/

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It just keeps on raining...
Message 17 of 19
John2
New Visitor

I just love that Target could have informed people sooner, but instead (to save face) they decided to keep it to themselves. Turns out now that they probably should have been upfront in the first place. I think that this is becoming the gold standard of how you should not approach these problems. 

Message 18 of 19
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.