Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target to reissue cards as MasterCard chip-and-pin

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Target to reissue cards as MasterCard chip-and-pin

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/04/29/target-mastercard-emv-partnership/8453783/

Quote from the article:

"The retailer's REDcard portfolio includes a Target-branded debit card, credit card, and a co-branded credit card with Visa that the company stopped issuing in 2010. All three will be reissued with MasterCard's chip-and-pin technology.

Cards with chip-and-pin technology are considered more secure than the magnetic stripe cards most of us use now because they are embedded with a microchip that generates a different, single-use code to process every transaction you make. That means the card data is practically impossible to counterfeit, because even if the data is hacked, it can't be used again."

I see more and more people are starting to issue and accept chip cards. I find it surprising that Target is also going to use chip+pin and not chip+signature.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

Re: Target to reissue cards as MasterCard chip-and-pin

i find it both awesome and sad that Target is beating all the the major banks to a legitimate chip&pin

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 2 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

So these still come with a magnetic strip, in addition to the pin technology?  Obviously all Target stores will have the pin readers but using the Target credit card elsewhere will require a swipe I guess.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 10
KublaKhan
Established Member

Yeah, the Target card was added to my app spree after reading one of these articles (That and I shop there a fair amount). Denied though! When the grass is greener in the garden I'll give in another go. I want a chip and pin in my wallet for travels Smiley Wink

FICO Scores: TU08: 674 | FAKO EQ: 745 |

Barclaycard Rewards: ($5000) , Capital One QuickSilverOne ($7250), Capital One Secured ($750), Discover It ($3000), PayPal Extras ($3000), Lowes ($6000), Marvel ($5000), Target ($5000), GM Buypower ($1300), Kohls ($2000), Walmart ($1450), Mobil ($1000), Chevron ($850), Valero ($300), Emblem Card ($250)

Message 4 of 10
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

id imagine that all pin+chip cards will still have a swipe.

the primary reason for issuers to provide pin+chip is to shift security liability to the merchants; not retaining a magnetic strip will just lead to minimized card usage

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan. Now that the horse is out of the barn.
Message 6 of 10
blondy250
Established Contributor

@milkshakes wrote:

i find it both awesome and sad that Target is beating all the the major banks to a legitimate chip&pin

Target sales have fallen 46% since the security breach, that's the ONLY reason there making any change.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 7 of 10
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

@milkshakes wrote:

Target sales have fallen 46% since the security breach, that's the ONLY reason there making any change.

Even if that is the reason that they are doing this, I still think it benefits everyone. They will be setting a precedent for all of the other store cards to follow. Their PR team will most likely use the security of Chip + Pin as a marketing strategy, which will create buzz around the topic and the consumers will look to others such as WalMart to follow the lead.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 8 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

@milkshakes wrote:

Even if that is the reason that they are doing this, I still think it benefits everyone. They will be setting a precedent for all of the other store cards to follow. Their PR team will most likely use the security of Chip + Pin as a marketing strategy, which will create buzz around the topic and the consumers will look to others such as WalMart to follow the lead.

I agree.  Ron1 posted about this new Target card last week.  It is great that Target is doing this and may help motivate the rest of the US to get to chip + pin faster.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 9 of 10
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

i guess it makes a statement, but i don't think it's really gonna help if the majority of their sales still come from people who don't use the target chip+pin card and if the security breach comes from the side where data is already stored, not where it is captured.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.