Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Debt Trap: Banks Mine Data and Pitch to Troubled Borrowers

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

The Debt Trap: Banks Mine Data and Pitch to Troubled Borrowers

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/106002/The-Debt-Trap:-Banks-Mine-Data-and-Pitch-t...

..."They get people who they know are in trouble, they know are desperate, and they aggressively market a product to them which is not in their best interest," said Jim Campen, executive director of the Americans for Fairness in Lending, an advocacy group that fights abusive credit and lending practices. "It's the wrong product at the wrong time."...

Read any offers you receive VERY CAREFULLY, folks!

(edited to shrink the typeface size)

Message Edited by scapegrace13 on 10-23-2008 07:37 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: The Debt Trap: Banks Mine Data and Pitch to Troubled Borrowers

@scapegrace13 wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/106002/The-Debt-Trap:-Banks-Mine-Data-and-Pitch-t...

..."They get people who they know are in trouble, they know are desperate, and they aggressively market a product to them which is not in their best interest," said Jim Campen, executive director of the Americans for Fairness in Lending, an advocacy group that fights abusive credit and lending practices. "It's the wrong product at the wrong time."...

Read any offers you receive VERY CAREFULLY, folks!

Robert Shiller, the Yale Professor who wrote a book called Irrational Exuberance a while back that correctly predicted the stock market bubble would burst, has a new book out called The Subprime Solution.  One of his proposals in the latter book is a Financial Product Safety Commission that could protect unsophisticated customers from toxic financial products much as the Consumer Product Safety Commission protects the public from toxic physical products.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Great, another useless professor advocating another useless government agency to protect people from themselves.  I think I going to start a business that for a monthly fee will open people's CC offer letters and comment whether it's a good deal or not.  Sort of an monitored opt-out services if you will.  For an extra fee I will call have a 24-7 monitored crisis center where they can call prior to accepting the app.

I wonder if the CCCs put "This offer is a bad deal" on the letter if people would take notice.  IMHO I dont think so.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 4
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

Great, another useless professor advocating another useless government agency to protect people from themselves.  I think I going to start a business that for a monthly fee will open people's CC offer letters and comment whether it's a good deal or not.  Sort of an monitored opt-out services if you will.  For an extra fee I will call have a 24-7 monitored crisis center where they can call prior to accepting the app.

I wonder if the CCCs put "This offer is a bad deal" on the letter if people would take notice.  IMHO I dont think so.

Marty, don't DO that!!!  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

This made me laugh so hard right in the middle of a mouthful of my morning tea that I may NEVER get it all out of my computer keyboard!! Smiley Very Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.