Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The high achievers and the rest of us

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

The high achievers and the rest of us

Is it your experience from the myFICO forums that you can expect more or less support and empathy from so-called high achievers than from others? Can you rely better on the advice of those who are in a situation similar to yours or where you want to be? Do you turn to comfort or improvement?

You may have come across one or several of various articles in recent weeks about rich people being jerks. With a feeling of the flow having passed, I stumbled across some text in the middle of an article yesterday, which was too compelling to put down. Sure enough it was written by Liz Weston.

"What concerns me about this research is not that the rich are getting a bad rap. What concerns me, as a personal-finance columnist, is that some people already use their bad opinions of the rich as an excuse not to take care of themselves financially. If you believe being wealthy makes you greedy or evil, how likely are you to invest in your future and build your net worth?"

A study was conducted at a busy downtown intersection, which showed that the drivers of more expensive vehicles were more likely to cut off drivers of lower status vehicles. "So much for the theory that owners of expensive cars try to protect their vehicles from being sullied by common blood!"

So maybe it's not that money leads to bad behavior, but rather that bad behavior craves the more money that allows the lifestyle to remain unchanged. And maybe your FICO score says nothing about if you're good or bad. There's certainly no correlation to whether you are rich or simply okay.

Which means that nothing in my signature reflects on whether my words are to be trusted. Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: The high achievers and the rest of us

I have not noticed a difference in the support based on FICO score here.  Makes sense since minus an occasional troll or 2, most pe0ple here come for help or to help others and once they do help, they pay it foward.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I think it's far simpler than all that.

Very often people aren't in a position or willing to follow good advice. You can tell someone "Don't app, too many inquiries and decreased account age will hurt how potential creditors see you!" all day long but unless they're in a receptive place it's wasted words.

Also, the rich can actually afford instant gratification. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

I have not noticed a difference in the support based on FICO score here.  Makes sense since minus an occasional troll or 2, most poeple here come for help or to help others amd once they do help, they pay it foward.

+1

People here interact with each other. We give advice to those we can help AND we take advice form those who can help us. I would say as a whole, most contributors here take the time to pay it forward.

I also believe that this assistance is not at all contigent on income levels or financial health.  It is a sharing of experience and knowledge. I readily accept advice from someone who has a 550 FICO or an 825 FICO, and I don't care how much their paycheck is. Either they know the answer to what I am looking for, or not. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's natural for us to want to hang out with each other and get advice from each other becasue we are all for the most part in the same boat.  I mean since the cave man/woman we have always hung out in groups of people that were on the same level so I do see your point but I'm not so sure that's always the case.  Either eay it was a good read, I think this backs up what I've always said though being in the Marine Corps for the past almost 19 years now and currently in Afg.  I have seen my share of good and bad moments in human nature, live your life be happy share care give love and never give up becasue you may not know them but they are here right now and they are dieing for you!!!!  Everyday  so stop sniffeling and go have some fun!  Don't forget to be kind to your neighbor and pass it on! I'll get off my soap box now!

Message 5 of 10
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's natural for us to want to hang out with each other and get advice from each other becasue we are all for the most part in the same boat.  I mean since the cave man/woman we have always hung out in groups of people that were on the same level so I do see your point but I'm not so sure that's always the case.  Either eay it was a good read, I think this backs up what I've always said though being in the Marine Corps for the past almost 19 years now and currently in Afg.  I have seen my share of good and bad moments in human nature, live your life be happy share care give love and never give up becasue you may not know them but they are here right now and they are dieing for you!!!!  Everyday  so stop sniffeling and go have some fun!  Don't forget to be kind to your neighbor and pass it on! I'll get off my soap box now!

I am not sure how much of this is from being in the same boat, as much as going to the people with the experience. If I want advice about marriage, I will probably not consult a single friend. If I want advice about fixing my FICO, I will consult someone who is or was fixing their FICO.

Let me personally thank you for 19 years of service to my country and to me. I extend my thanks to all the myFICO board members who have served or are currently serving now.  You probably don't hear it enough, but your sacrifices are appreciated.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Compared to a lot of forums out there this one is quite pleasant. Most people get along well and are happy to give each other advice, and even share some personal things like income, bankruptcies, repossessions, chargeoffs, etc.

As a son of a Vietnam veteran I would like to thank the members of the military on here as well. I know we have a few Vietnam veterans on here as well. Unfortunately my dad is no longer with us. He survived Vietnam but I consider him a casualty of that war. Was in artillery and Vietnam changed him. He would never talk about it even to my mom or grandma. Changed for the worse psycologically after the war and is unfortunately no longer with us. I know he wasn't the only vet who has suffered after and since that war.

God bless the members of the military who go through hell so those of us stateside don't have to.

Message 7 of 10
pakman92
Established Contributor

high achiever != rich

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 8 of 10
morganirish
Regular Contributor

The thing that helps me the most in these forums is when one person posts a question and then many different people will post answers.  It helps because everyone seems to have an answer based on their own experience.  I try to answer questions based on my own experience.  It doesn't really matter to me what the score of the poster is or how often they are posting in the forums.   I don't know if people here are rich, poor, or in the middle. 

Message 9 of 10
FrugalRican
Blogger

@pakman92 wrote:

high achiever != rich

Bingo.

I bet I could muster my way into the 800's and still make 30K a year. I know quite a few people that have, by the way.

And I don't think I've ever seen a hint of elitism from anyone here as a "high achiever".

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.