Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The problem with cashless restaurants

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: The problem with cashless restaurants

I can certainly see larger businesses or businesses with multiple locations spending more on counting cash than the fees.

But for most establishments that don't take credit cards, they're more likely mom & pop shops where the owner is the cashier or bartender or whatever.

I suspect the true motivation of a business that is "cashless" is more about the studies that show people tend to spend more money when NOT using cash rather than "safety and convencience" of the customer.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 41 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not opposed to it if that's how one wants to run their business. But I agree, that they are limiting their possible revenue by doing so.

Not to mention that too much reliance on technology is a bad thing, IMO. I've been to several establishments that had issues with their machines and could only take cash. Those experiences taught me to always carry both methods when traveling, where as previously I didn't like traveling with $$$. It's too easily lost/stolen with no way to replace. 

Message 42 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm fine with restaurants choosing to be cashless or cash-only.  I can understand how some business owners don't want to pay the swipe fees for credit cards while other business owners may want to minimize the danger of counterfeits and robberies.  If they lose a lot of their profits from rejecting cash or credit cards, I'm sure they'll reverse their policy in a short period of time.  My only request is such restaurants have visible signs at the entrance and register that indicates acceptable forms of payment since the vast majority of places accept both cash and credit cards.  

I always use a credit card when I eat at a restuarant, but if a favorite restaurant of mine decided to take only cash, I would be willing to use cash instead.  Otherwise, I would just take my business elsewhere.  

Message 43 of 46
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I'm fine with restaurants choosing to be cashless or cash-only.  I can understand how some business owners don't want to pay the swipe fees for credit cards while other business owners may want to minimize the danger of counterfeits and robberies.  If they lose a lot of their profits from rejecting cash or credit cards, I'm sure they'll reverse their policy in a short period of time.  My only request is such restaurants have visible signs at the entrance and register that indicates acceptable forms of payment since the vast majority of places accept both cash and credit cards.  

I always use a credit card when I eat at a restuarant, but if a favorite restaurant of mine decided to take only cash, I would be willing to use cash instead.  Otherwise, I would just take my business elsewhere.  

I would ask for a "cash discount" in that case. One of the restaurants I frequent has recently instituted such a policy, and since the cash discount is usually 5-6%, it makes sense for me to pay cash.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 44 of 46
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

That's fair, as long as you're okay with them putting a 2% surcharge on if you use credit.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 45 of 46
arkane
Established Contributor

I suspect it's priced into the food already. Smiley Wink Why else would you offer a >2% cash discount?

Also to be clear, I meant I'd ask for a cash discount if the restaurant decided to stop taking credit cards.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.