Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Work Number"

tag
demi
Established Contributor

Re: The "Work Number"

In California (not sure how many other states apply) Public Employee Salary information by name is pretty routinely posted on an agencies website because of legal requirements.  The Sacramento Bee actually has a database where you can look up people.  Not just titles and ranges, but the actual amounts (including benefits) attached to names.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@demi wrote:

In California (not sure how many other states apply) Public Employee Salary information by name is pretty routinely posted on an agencies website because of legal requirements.  The Sacramento Bee actually has a database where you can look up people.  Not just titles and ranges, but the actual amounts (including benefits) attached to names.

This is true in Colorado as well.  ANY public/government employee, who's salary has ANY ties to taxpayers as a source, are subject to publication. Some counties in Colorado publish all employee salaries in the local newspaper in the classified section, along with all the other legalese mumbo jumbo. 

Message 12 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

+1

Yep part of the freedom of information act when it come to Gov and public employees 

All someone has to do is request the info in writing and pay for the copies and have access to name salary etc etc etc 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Minnesota some of the government employee info is available through a couple of media sources for state employees.
Message 14 of 17
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

I truly believe I should have the right to grant/deny the release of this information. 

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 15 of 17
sirclownfish

The "interesting" thing about The Work Number is it seems most businesses use it now, I would go so far as to say "all" even.  A staffing agency once told me how much it costs for employers to call and verfiy their information, a lot, and on a volume basis, too much to call for every applicant.

The most amazing part of all of this is that obviously you get nothing other than standard information, but nothing postiive nor negative such as a real reference.  Companies don't allow references anymore since they have the work number, while at the same time you have to have references to work at those exact companies that refuse to give them.

But I've had a lot of those low level now outsourced and automated office jobs, people higher up find ways around this.

Message 16 of 17
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

I wonder if Amex uses it.  When you apply it asks your employer. I work for a national company and they use it to let people verify wage and employment history.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.