Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The worst credit card deals in America

Good article M.V. thanks for posting.
Message 2 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

As usual, Bank ofUn- America is mentioned for their treatment of their customers.  Can't wait till they go belly-up.  I'm doing my part by having my BofA account at 0% util, forever.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

My DW and I very happy with them so far. They haven't rate-jacked her yet.
Message 4 of 9
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

BofA's been all over the place gaining negative attention lately.  This article, and the one about them giving out CC's to individuals without SSN's so long as they've had an account in good standing for (I think) 6 months... yet denying people with bad credit history for Secured accounts even with the same good standing account history with BofA.

I'm tempted to take my banking elsewhere, but they're atms are everywhere and their online account access is so convenient...
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 5 of 9
NICKI183
Established Contributor

BoA is a little weird.  I heard that they were recently bought out by Chase { unsure how true that is}, anyway I tried to apply for a regular credit card with TU566/Eq596/Exp586 and was bumped to a SECURE card.  I guess I better get there within 30 days  so I can obtain a regular PRIME CC on my CR's.

I didnt hear anything about them give CC to persons with SS#, that is news to me!! 
Starting Score: 555/567/570- Aug 2017 (TU)646 (EQ) 626, (EX) 635-Goa 750l: UPDATE 2021 (TU) 623, (EQ) 584, (EXP) 598 Current VISA-MC-Amex Credit Cards |NFCU-CashReward-$2k|USSA Visa- $500lAmex USAA-secured Merrick-$1,900ll Amex Delta Sky Miles- $1k
, |Nordstrom-$2100|Neiman Marcus-$700|Credit One Bank $850/$500 / Capital One Journey $700/ Capital One Quicksilver One $1650/Target $600/KohlsStore $300/Personal Loans $14k
Garden Until 2/2022 removing all 18 collection baddies and decrease UTILto less than 5%
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@NICKI183 wrote:
BoA is a little weird. I heard that they were recently bought out by Chase { unsure how true that is}, anyway I tried to apply for a regular credit card with TU566/Eq596/Exp586 and was bumped to a SECURE card. I guess I better get there within 30 days so I can obtain a regular PRIME CC on my CR's.
I didnt hear anything about them give CC to persons with SS#, that is news to me!!

Hi, NICKI, welcome to the forums! Actually, their secured card is meant for your score range. In fact, I've seen posts by people with scores in the 600's who couldn't get it. Their secured card is really a great deal --with impeccable usage and payment history, it will be switched to unsecured at 9 or 12 months, and you get your deposit back. Secured cards are just as good for building credit as non-secured, so I would definitely grab that offer.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

First Premier Bank of South Dakota paid $4.5 million last summer to settle charges with the New York State attorney general over deceptive marketing, but its offer for a gold MasterCard remains pretty much the same: a catchy 9.9 percent interest rate but $256 of fees on an account that opens with a limit of $300.

Proof that one should ALWAYS read the fine print.
Message 8 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

Yeah and to add insult to injury they boast about the fact that it is not a "secured" card.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.