tag
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: To freeze or not to freeze

I'm a big proponent in freezing. All 3 have been frozen for almost a year now, outisde the temp 3 days in the summer when I got a car loan. In Arizona, 3 dollars a report. It gives me so much peace of mind. I'd highly recommend.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan on leaving mine frozen until I'm out of the Garden! and all of my INQ s are gone!
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is probably your safest bet, especially if you aren't planning to open any new accounts in the near future. Out of curiosity, if your reports are frozen can creditors still report updated activity? Let's say like a new collections account or a late payment, etc. 

Message 4 of 18
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is probably your safest bet, especially if you aren't planning to open any new accounts in the near future. Out of curiosity, if your reports are frozen can creditors still report updated activity? Let's say like a new collections account or a late payment, etc. 

Yes they can.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a big fan of the Freeze.  It is $5 per cra here.  One thing to note is some of the free credit reporting sites will not work if your reports are frozen.  

Message 6 of 18
elim
Senior Contributor

I freeze,  Turn them on and off like a light switch.  Although I have Alerts set up on every account, it won't help if someone soft's a card in my name or whatever. $5 is well worth it.

Message 7 of 18
elim
Senior Contributor

I apped for an auto refi this morning so I spent the 1 minute it takes to do a temp lift on EQ...

"We are writing to confirm that in response to your request, we have temporarily lifted the security freeze from your Equifax credit file for the following period of time: 05/22/2016 - 05/30/2016 We will automatically reinstate the security freeze at the end of this time frame. Equifax Information Services LLC Thank you for giving Equifax the opportunity to serve you."

easy peasy if you keep your PIN handy.

Message 8 of 18
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Definitely don't lose your pins. Print 'em out and put them in a lock box or wherever you keep important stuff..

Message 9 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I've never done this before, but can certainly understand times when it may be needed.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.