Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Broke for Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too Broke for Bankruptcy

(I included the second part of the quote because I could swear I remember someone posting a similar (more in-depth) article on the Chapter-13-in-place-of-Chapter-7 issue in the South but I can't find the post.)

https://www.propublica.org/article/when-you-cannot-afford-to-go-bankrupt?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_med...

A ritual of spring in America is about to begin. Tens of thousands of people will soon get their tax refunds, and when they do, they will finally be able to afford the thing they’ve thought about for months, if not years: bankruptcy.

It happens every tax season. With many more people suddenly able to pay a lawyer, the number of bankruptcy filings jumps way up in March, stays high in April, then declines.

In the South, debtors often avoid the up-front costs by filing bankruptcy under Chapter 13. Unlike Chapter 7, which clears debts after a few months, Chapter 13 is a payment plan that usually lasts five years. Lawyers in the South will often start a Chapter 13 for $0 down, allowing their much larger fees (usually $3,000 to $4,000) to be paid through the plan. This provides immediate protection to low-income debtors, but most are unable to keep up with the payments. Once their cases are dismissed, their debts return.

Faced with options like these, many people simply try to muddle through, often under the threat of having their wages seized by creditors.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too Broke for Bankruptcy

@Anonymouswrote:

(I included the second part of the quote because I could swear I remember someone posting a similar (more in-depth) article on the Chapter-13-in-place-of-Chapter-7 issue in the South but I can't find the post.)

https://www.propublica.org/article/when-you-cannot-afford-to-go-bankrupt?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1520012588

A ritual of spring in America is about to begin. Tens of thousands of people will soon get their tax refunds, and when they do, they will finally be able to afford the thing they’ve thought about for months, if not years: bankruptcy.

It happens every tax season. With many more people suddenly able to pay a lawyer, the number of bankruptcy filings jumps way up in March, stays high in April, then declines.

In the South, debtors often avoid the up-front costs by filing bankruptcy under Chapter 13. Unlike Chapter 7, which clears debts after a few months, Chapter 13 is a payment plan that usually lasts five years. Lawyers in the South will often start a Chapter 13 for $0 down, allowing their much larger fees (usually $3,000 to $4,000) to be paid through the plan. This provides immediate protection to low-income debtors, but most are unable to keep up with the payments. Once their cases are dismissed, their debts return.

Faced with options like these, many people simply try to muddle through, often under the threat of having their wages seized by creditors.

The article conveniently leaves out the fact that most BK lawyers (at least down here in Dixie) are willing to work with clients on payment plans that fit their budget.

Message 2 of 3
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Too Broke for Bankruptcy

Well, it IS Propublica. They do have an agenda. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.