Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Social Media in Lending Decisions

tag
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Using Social Media in Lending Decisions

Very interesting article about social media and lending. Do you think that social media presence is a greater predictor of credit worthniness than FICO?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using Social Media in Lending Decisions

The article was referring to using social media as additional information gathering. 

Personally, I think it is stupid to keep open profiles on social media that anyone can search.  I keep my FB page restricted and even then only post the bare minimum that can be used against me.  I use FB for simply keeping in touch and track of friends and family.  I'm not a twitter fan nor use instagram.  I learned only the other day what selfie and snapchat were!  (yeah I'm a bit of an old fogie!)  I just don't see the appeal that a 15-25 yr old would see in these things.  The only page that I keep open for anyone to read is my Linkedin page - but since that is used mostly for work related functions, I don't mind.  I've never fudged on a resume' or on Linkedin and I see no reason to start doing that either so if a prospective employer looks for me there, all they will find is an honest slate!

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 2 of 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Considering all the silliness people post about on social media; Approvals would be seriously down it it were factored into lending decisions, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Roarmeister wrote:

The article was referring to using social media as additional information gathering. 

Personally, I think it is stupid to keep open profiles on social media that anyone can search.  I keep my FB page restricted and even then only post the bare minimum that can be used against me.  I use FB for simply keeping in touch and track of friends and family.  I'm not a twitter fan nor use instagram.  I learned only the other day what selfie and snapchat were!  (yeah I'm a bit of an old fogie!)  I just don't see the appeal that a 15-25 yr old would see in these things.  The only page that I keep open for anyone to read is my Linkedin page - but since that is used mostly for work related functions, I don't mind.  I've never fudged on a resume' or on Linkedin and I see no reason to start doing that either so if a prospective employer looks for me there, all they will find is an honest slate!

Very well said Smiley Happy i feel the same way. That's 1 reason it's so much ID Theft

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.