Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart sues Visa over chip debit card rules

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart sues Visa over chip debit card rules

Not strictly about credit, but since Visa's involved... 

Walmart is suing Visa because it wants to require customers using new debit cards to enter a PIN when making a purchase.
The retailer charges in the suit that Visa's policy to allow people to enter signatures at the register leads to more fraud. It also argues that the strategy is a bid by the payment processor to grab higher fees on debit purchases.

In the WSJ article about this (paywall), Walmart supposedly pays 5c more per debit card transaction when people don't enter a PIN. Which makes me think that's the real motivation behind this suit, but hey.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart sues Visa over chip debit card rules

Not knowing much about this, I can kind of see their point. Then again, surely it's about them saving $$ too.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
Not knowing much about this, I can kind of see their point. Then again, surely it's about them saving $$ too.

Keep in mind that Walmart's credit card is still chip and signature IIRC. At least Target switched their credit and debit cards over to chip and PIN, so "we care about security" PR would have a bit more weight if they said it. 

Message 3 of 5
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

I can't even use my chip debit card as a credit card in their machines without swiping the card. It won't let me process it by hitting the change payment type button! I don't use my bank debit card that often anymore, but a couple months ago I did and it's annoying to have the transaction cancel because of that.
Slowly rebuilding, learning as I go, but that's the beauty of learning...You never have to stop!

Current FICO scores: EX: 664 TU: 650 EQ: 668

Message 4 of 5
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Walmart seems to have much theft and trying to curtail it some.. The problem I see Walmart like many don't even look at the back of a CC to see if it's signed and doesn't even ask me to sign after I buy something. My chip and sig cards, at Walmart become just Chip and  walk away..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.