Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Fined $185 Million in Fraud Case

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo Fined $185 Million in Fraud Case

According to CNN, employees that tried to report the fraud to HR through the ethics hotline were fired not long after.

CNN - I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired

Message 21 of 44
baller4life
Super Contributor

WOW. No way CEO and upper management were not in on the scheme. They just made the lower level employees the scapegoats. I agree with Sen. Warren wholeheartedly. The CEO should at least resign and or face criminal charges.
Message 22 of 44
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

Wells Fargo hit with $185 million fine from the CFPB for opening unauthorized customer accounts. The largest ever! And fires 5,300 employees over the past few years related to the shady behaviour. I have a hard time believing that this wasn't a culture that WF encouraged. That's an awful lot of employees involved for the bigwigs not to know what was going on. Sounds like they are being made the scapegoats. SO, glad I left WF and went to CUs.

https://www.google.com/amp/journalstar.com/news/national/wells-fargo-fires-workers-fined-million-in-...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/index.html

More news just broke today. Some journalists spoke with former Wells Fargo employees who say they were fired for NOT participating in the scam. One person said they called their ethics hot line to report anonymously about what they were instructed to do by their manager, and a few days later they were terminated.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/21/investing/wells-fargo-fired-workers-retaliation-fake-accounts/

ETA: ^^^^^Great minds think alike. Someone beat me to it. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 23 of 44
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Is it time to socially blacklist Wells Fargo?

The very least that the MyFICO community can do (if FICO Forums won't prevent Wells Fargo from putting ads on the site) is that every time someone asks advice about opening a Wells Fargo account, tell them not to do it, ever.

We don't have good memory, but as a community, it's our duty to inform and educate other users. This is not about a few employees gone rogue, it's a systematic scam that the company has been pulling over many years. It's time they're punished by the general public. 

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you Ghoshida, but we might not stop at just Wells Fargo. They're not the only bank that has these practices. So we might end up having to 'blacklist' a whole host of other banks.

CNN - 'Wells Fargo isn't the only one': Other bank workers describe intense sales tactics

Message 25 of 44
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

Wells Fargo hit with $185 million fine from the CFPB for opening unauthorized customer accounts. The largest ever! And fires 5,300 employees over the past few years related to the shady behaviour. I have a hard time believing that this wasn't a culture that WF encouraged. That's an awful lot of employees involved for the bigwigs not to know what was going on. Sounds like they are being made the scapegoats. SO, glad I left WF and went to CUs.

https://www.google.com/amp/journalstar.com/news/national/wells-fargo-fires-workers-fined-million-in-...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/index.html

I deposit my money in the credit union of my former employer. I never put a penny in any bank. Credit Union is owned by the members and not for profit...why would I put money in a bank when I get free checking, interest on my deposits even in checking. The only use I have for banks is to suck some free money out of their rewards credit cards.Smiley Very Happy

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 26 of 44
baller4life
Super Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

I deposit my money in the credit union of my former employer. I never put a penny in any bank. Credit Union is owned by the members and not for profit...why would I put money in a bank when I get free checking, interest on my deposits even in checking. The only use I have for banks is to suck some free money out of their rewards credit cards.Smiley Very Happy

+ a million! I feel the exact same way. I will never again put a dime of my money in a bank! #teamcreditunions 

Message 27 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks baller4life ... the article were very informational. Liked the part about opening 565,xxx credit cards. Unreal! Fire the CEO and claw back funds from management and workers. Closed Wells out back in 2011 when they pulled a consolidate my insurance but not cover me so I get a cancel notice ... their response we just haven't had time.
Message 28 of 44
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you Ghoshida, but we might not stop at just Wells Fargo. They're not the only bank that has these practices. So we might end up having to 'blacklist' a whole host of other banks.

CNN - 'Wells Fargo isn't the only one': Other bank workers describe intense sales tactics

And then we shall.

The only way to really punish these banks is not to put money in them.

Or at least that's how capitalism is supposed to function. Consumers must be informed. We take a lot of info from this forum, and it's our duty to pay it back. 

Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like this has been going on alot longer than initially thought. Possibly as far back as 2008.

CNN - Wells Fargo workers: Fake accounts began years ago

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.