Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Security Breach May 2015

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Wells Fargo Security Breach May 2015

Today I received a voice message to contact WF regarding a possible security breach. When I contacted WF they confirmed a possible breach but would not provide the name of the merchant my card was used at. They informed me that a new replacement card was mailed and on its way to me. Has anyone else received a notice from them? I can't find any info online. I'm worried because I don't want to use the card at that same merchant if the problem is not resolved. SMH! Smiley Mad

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo Security Breach May 2015

Yes. My business debit card was replaced with a recent e-mail stating that it was used with a merchant that may have been compromised. 

I'm thinking it may have been Blue Cross Blue Shield as their system was hacked.

Message 2 of 7
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. My business debit card was replaced with a recent e-mail stating that it was used with a merchant that may have been compromised. 

I'm thinking it may have been Blue Cross Blue Shield as their system was hacked.

I was wondering if it was Verizon or Walmart.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo online banking system was hacked - wells fargo is refusing to publicize a problem, so as people are getting hit they have to change log in info.

I had 1k taken out of my accounts with them about a month ago via $100 paypal withdrawals. I've never used or set up a paypal account. Wells Fargo was very unhelpful in info since it's their fault. Paypal told me that the only way those 'purchases' could have been made through my checking and savings account, was if someone had my log-in info to verify the random change ding paypal sends through to verify accounts.

Paypal told me that Wells Fargo and SunTrust bank are both having fraud issues like this, that they were getting 20-50 calls a day from people who don't have paypal accounts about money being taken out through paypal. Paypal said they have been urging Wells Fargo to inform consumers their website login security was breached, but Wells Fargo is refusing

I simply changed banks Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 7
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wells Fargo online banking system was hacked - wells fargo is refusing to publicize a problem, so as people are getting hit they have to change log in info.

I had 1k taken out of my accounts with them about a month ago via $100 paypal withdrawals. I've never used or set up a paypal account. Wells Fargo was very unhelpful in info since it's their fault. Paypal told me that the only way those 'purchases' could have been made through my checking and savings account, was if someone had my log-in info to verify the random change ding paypal sends through to verify accounts.

Paypal told me that Wells Fargo and SunTrust bank are both having fraud issues like this, that they were getting 20-50 calls a day from people who don't have paypal accounts about money being taken out through paypal. Paypal said they have been urging Wells Fargo to inform consumers their website login security was breached, but Wells Fargo is refusing

I simply changed banks Smiley Very Happy

Interesting! After my last post, I wondered if it had to do with PayPal. When you experienced the $100 incremental withdrawals, did you notice email confirmations from PayPal confirming the withdrawals. I'm wondering if the source of the problem is PayPal rather than WF.

Message 5 of 7
kittywitty
Contributor

wouldn't surprise me in the wells fargo employee's are the quilty ones.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also found out when my new Wells Fargo "secure" card didn't work yesterday, Aug. 18. They refused to tell me the source of the hack, but said it was hacked in May. However that's when I received this new supposedly secure card with a chip. I think they got hacked, not a vendor. Otherwise why wait a few months?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.