Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What you need to know to get your credit scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you need to know to get your credit scores

And other nice tidbits....some of which we already know about.  But some that might be of interest to our readers.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What you need to know to get your credit scores

The EQ trick mentioned in the article is interesting and I didn't know about it, but the author does fail to state the WaMu proferred PFICO is not the "classic" version more useful to gauge your interest rates on mortgage loans.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's hilarious that the author makes no bones about calling non-FICO scores "fake."  He doesn't go so far as to say "FAKO," but that's close enough.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also fail to mention the classic TU FICO's available when you have a HELOC account with Wamu and access your account online.
Message 4 of 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
And other nice tidbits....some of which we already know about. But some that might be of interest to our readers.

Hmm, the article mentioned a free credit score estimator at www.credit.com where one answers a few questions to get its estimate. It came up with 825 for me, which isn't a bad guesstimate -- the last time I pulled all three at myfico my highest was 826 (EX) while my EQ was 786 and my TU was 796. It would be interesting if others could give it a try and report how closely it correlates for them, obviously it's even more of a FAKO than other FAKOs since it's going by a few simple questions.

I personally think the free annual report should include everything a mortgage lender or car dealer would see including both classic FICO and auto-enhanced FICO scores, and especially I think the various misleading "free credit report" sites should be outlawed, but at least there does exist a truly free way to get a look now. Once upon a time it was easier to get one's FBI file than it was to get one's credit file, and I personally care much more about my credit file than I do about whatever file the FBI might have on me since my credit file affects my life to a much greater extent!
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the bankrate estimator and my scores are not nearly as high as they should be according to them.  Especially EQ.  Their score for me has not changed in months.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW! It was WAY off for me.. 468 Smiley Sad My Fico is 642- my lowest is 618
Message 7 of 9
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Your FICO® scores are
estimated to be between:

645-695

Which isn't too far off.  I don't like that I had to include SL debt in the 'how much do you owe outside of a mortgage'?  Hmm..  Oddly enough I just ran the same numbers but excluded the SL debt -- same range.  I'm guessing because I still reported revolving as 0-9 percent the algorithm gave me a pass on that 'greater than 20k' debt.

Weird.  (Actual scores in sig)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 8 of 9

My score was 512 way off and my lowest score on my fico is 654
Diane ...

6-15-08 Fako TU: 643 Ex: 624 Eq: 642
10-15-08 Fico TU: 646 Ex: 622 Eq: 640

Working to the 700 club by Dec 2008
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.