Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why American Express Gave Costco the Boot

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Why American Express Gave Costco the Boot

Not sure I agree with this article's conjecture, because credit card loss ratios are very low, especially AmEx and and highly profitable  - but judge for yourself

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/why-american-express-gave-costco-the-boot-and-not-the-other...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Why American Express Gave Costco the Boot

@pipeguy wrote:

Not sure I agree with this article's conjecture, because credit card loss ratios are very low, especially AmEx and and highly profitable  - but judge for yourself

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/why-american-express-gave-costco-the-boot-and-not-the-other...

The article seems writer has an axe to grind with citigroup. I think it comes down to money. Costco probably didn't want to pay for amex's ridiculous swipe fees, and found an better offer. I think its as simple as that?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

From what I know of Costco's negotiating power as America's preeminent wholesaler, I'd hate to be one of their suppliers.  I've been told their terms are extremely one side where vendor/supplier basically accepts Costco's terms.

I doubt Amex was making much on the swipe fees for purchases made at Costco (hence, the Costco card earning only 1%), but the marketing opportunity was purely for Costco customers using the card elsewhere.  Likewise, I doubt Citi will make much from swipe fees used at Costco, which, similar to Amex, the best card to use at Costco will be a Visa other than the cobranded Citi one.

In the long run, I don't think this really hurts Amex nearly as much as people think.

Message 3 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

From what I know of Costco's negotiating power as America's preeminent wholesaler, I'd hate to be one of their suppliers.  I've been told their terms are extremely one side where vendor/supplier basically accepts Costco's terms.

I doubt Amex was making much on the swipe fees for purchases made at Costco (hence, the Costco card earning only 1%), but the marketing opportunity was purely for Costco customers using the card elsewhere.  Likewise, I doubt Citi will make much from swipe fees used at Costco, which, similar to Amex, the best card to use at Costco will be a Visa other than the cobranded Citi one.

In the long run, I don't think this really hurts Amex nearly as much as people think.

Personally I think AmEx is taking a prettty good hit off this and refusing to bend their tried and true business model to accept competitive rates. Much of AmEx's image is ego-stroking in my opinion with an example being that I doubt 50% of the members that pay $450 a year for "Platinum status" actually see much benefit from the card other than the ersatz "status factor" (I admit to having a bias against AmEx, but that does not mean I'm wrong). Compete or die in business and charging higher swip fees and AF's on cards gets old school after a while - I think Costco saw how much they were paying AmEx and said we need to talk - AmEx said we are not MC/V, we are worth the extra fees and Costco said not to us you aren't. The warning shot was pulling out of Canada, AmEx didn't budge, Costco said got along without ya before I met ya get along without ya now.... 

It'll be interesting to watch their (AmEx) future SEC filings to see how much of a hit they take in profits and gross sales once they lose Canada and then the USA Costco business. SEC filings are very useful in getting the real story, not just in this case, but following a lot of business rumors verses the truth. 

Case in point in late 2013 and early 2014 there was a big story about an "ammo shortage" and the theroy was that the government was buying up all the ammo to keep it out of the public's hands (supply chain). One of the things I do is chase down this kind of thing and answer the public concerns (not directly, but research and conclusions). What was happening was all sporting stores were experiencing shortages of ammo (all kinds) and prices were going way up because of supply and demand.

Best source of information was the SEC filings of ammo manufactures for both military and public supply, which showed deliveries, (numbers, volume and production) of both military and cillvilan suply chains and projections for current production meeting demand now and looking forward. Bottom line was there was no spike in production nor any shortage of manufacturing capacity and projections were for decreased demand over the next couple of years. The actual shortage was caused by the self generated rumor and panic caused by the media attention to spot shortages which mushroomed - basically over now, but the higher prices mostly stayed.

SEC filings are a great source of information if you can weed through all the public relations spin in there - also kind of dry reading - the AmEx volume and profit margins will show up in their quaterly and annual SEC filings - should be interesting.   

Message 4 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

Sure, Amex's next few quarters of earnings reports and filings should offer some insights, though I never read them personally.  I prefer the updated "cliff notes" version.

If you do read them, I'd wager whatever swipe fees they were making at Costco wouldn't be that much more than what Citi would be making.  In essence, I believe Costco is a loss leader where an issuer bears to make the higher swipe fees from purchases outside of Costco.

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Costco is a neophyte in the game of squeezing suppliers, Walmart is the King.... Interesting article.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I applied for Amex after I heard about the split. I don't shop at Costco or BJ. So far Amex has better cue service than my Citi DC. If I have to pay to shop I'm not shopping there. Just like I refuse to pay an AF.

Message 7 of 8
onstar
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Costco is a neophyte in the game of squeezing suppliers, Walmart is the King.... Interesting article.

This is why I refuse to shop at either Walmart unless I have no other choice.

At least Costco treats its employees really well (or so I read in the news).

If this were like a human breakup and I had to pick a side, I would definitely side with Amex.

My life doesn't change much without either, but No Amex definitely worse than No Costco.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.