Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why More Americans Will Fall Behind on Credit-Card Bills This Year

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Why More Americans Will Fall Behind on Credit-Card Bills This Year

"Our collective exercise in austerity appears to be over. Americans are adding to their credit-card balances again, and experts warn more of us are likely to get in over our heads this year."

http://business.time.com/2013/01/07/why-more-americans-will-fall-behind-on-credit-card-bills-this-ye...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
olderwiser3
Established Member

Re: Why More Americans Will Fall Behind on Credit-Card Bills This Year

It'd be interesting to knowhow much of this is due to people feeling more confident in their ability to pay (i.e. improving economy) vs having to rely due to job loss/other factors (i.e. slowing economy).  I think it's overconfidence, personally.  I paid off all my CC debt in 2012 and will pay off ealry the remainder of my student loan debt in 2013 as a hedge.  My bigger concern is the staggering $23B in new student loan debt.  Mine was for new training, not a full-on degree.  I can't fathom how the current crop of college grads are going to gain their financial footing.

Message 2 of 8
Cageym
Established Contributor

They aren't going to have to. With they way the law is written now they can get forgiveness after 15 years of payments I think, so the tax payer will be on the hook for the rest of the bill. And they are being given more lenient payment options as well I think.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 3 of 8
olderwiser3
Established Member

So what are you saying?  They take out a 30 year term for their loans and pay for 15 and the rest is forgiven?  That's such a great way to teach fiscal responsibility.  Not!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Cageym
Established Contributor

Something like that. It's a fairly new law but I don't remember the specifics. They have to make all their payments for that first period, but those are structured to their pay so that shouldn't ba an issue. And yes, society is continuing to foster the entitlement culture.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Message 5 of 8
olderwiser3
Established Member

Wow.  So someone goes and gets a $100K harvard liberal arts degree and goes to work at the local Starbucks and only has to pay what they can afford.  Sounds like a perfect way to further backrupt the country.  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 8
Cageym
Established Contributor

It's called the Studen Loan Forgiveness Act: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/student-loan-ranger/2012/05/30/would-the-student-loan-forgiven...

Message 7 of 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@olderwiser3 wrote:

My bigger concern is the staggering $23B in new student loan debt.  Mine was for new training, not a full-on degree.  I can't fathom how the current crop of college grads are going to gain their financial footing.

Remember the golden past of tuition-free public education? A lot has changed over the last forty years. Or fifty years ago when people spent 15% on food and half of that on health, now it's the opposite. Back then many had solid retirement pensions, and the income equality was nothing to speak of unlike today. Popcorn tubs, soda drinks, pizza slices and bagels twenty years ago were half the size. How un–American!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.