cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you shop at a store or restaurant that refuses to take cash?

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Would you shop at a store or restaurant that refuses to take cash?

@Anonymous wrote:

The last time I visited my local BoA branch in person was last month, to get fixed a problem at a local store where my debit card's chip wasn't reading properly and caused it to be charged several times without displaying a completed transaction. As it turns out, the chip itself was wearing out - it finally gave up the ghost this past weekend and I've had to order a replacement card. I don't think I've seen a paper paycheck in at least 15 years myself, it's all been direct deposit.

I work for the local county, you can't get paid by paper paycheck, that's called "non-compliance" with county policy and is subject to disciplinary action - you have to have a bank account for direct deposit to get paid.

Message 21 of 37
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I work for the local county, you can't get paid by paper paycheck, that's called "non-compliance" with county policy and is subject to disciplinary action - you have to have a bank account for direct deposit to get paid.

....and yet over 20% of the population is "unbanked" including those with jobs. I'm not a bleeding heart by any means, but to force cash only or electronic payment (as far as paycheck or transactions) seems to pour salt in the wound of those that say "doesn't effect me...".  

Message 22 of 37
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

....and yet over 20% of the population is "unbanked" including those with jobs. I'm not a bleeding heart by any means, but to force cash only or electronic payment (as far as paycheck or transactions) seems to pour salt in the wound of those that say "doesn't effect me...".  

I suppose there are ways around having a bank account, like Amex/Walmart Bluebird, if it has a routing # & account # it would work, but those who don't have a bank account are unlikely to know about alternatives like that. A couple years ago there was controversy over some McDonald's franchisees paying paychecks only through reloadable debit cards issued by Chase. The employees got hit with ATM fees when they got cash, and Chase charged a $5 fee when getting cash back at a cash register, normally free for debit cards. And if the employee lost the debit card Chase hit them with a $15 replacement fee Paying bills online with the card was a 75 cent fee each time, and just checking the balance on the card was a $1 fee. A couple state courts ruled that paying employees only through debit cards was illegal, and I think the practice is no longer allowed anywhere. 

Message 23 of 37
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Absolutely. 

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

The last time I visited my local BoA branch in person was last month, to get fixed a problem at a local store where my debit card's chip wasn't reading properly and caused it to be charged several times without displaying a completed transaction. As it turns out, the chip itself was wearing out - it finally gave up the ghost this past weekend and I've had to order a replacement card. I don't think I've seen a paper paycheck in at least 15 years myself, it's all been direct deposit.

Smiley Surprised

(I wish this forum had an "astounded" or "jaw-dropped" smiley.)

I really didn't know that there were at least some places you could get disciplined nowadays if you refused to take direct deposit these days...

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if i woulnd't shop there but I would like to know ahead of time.  It would really suck to eat my dinner only to find out they don't take cash and that is all I have on me.

Message 26 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't care one way or another and be more concerned about the food and service than how they accept payment.

There will of course be people on both ends of the spectrum on this discussion and I think certain establishments would have a very difficult time going "cashless" anytime in the near future. Can you imagine McDonalds adopting this strategy? 

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct deposit/direct payment mandatory is very common. For our biz over half is incoming wire or ach paymnets. It is much cheaper to ach a payment than send a check for a biz. 

Message 28 of 37
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

No but I would and have avoided patronizing establishments that do not take CC. I rarely use cash anymore. 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

It's one thing if you choose to use cards, but this seems like a "bribe" to force a merchant to not accept cash whereas the bill says on it "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private" which would include when the check was presented after a meal at a restaurant (aka a "debt").  There are an awful lot of people that don't have a checking account, let alone a credit card. Note too that EBT cards can not be used for prepared meals, so is Visa forcing a large part of the population to go buy "gift cards" ?

I can also see the wait staff having 100% of their tips now reported and reduced due to withholding and swipe fees. For those that only use cards, no big deal, but for those that don't or won't use cards you are telling them they are not welcome even with $1000 cash in their pocket. Personally for me and I have a pocketful of cards I would avoid any merchant that told me my "actual money" was no good.

Just imagine the guy that takes his date/wife to a fancy restaurant and drops a couple hundred on dinner and goes to pay with cash - sorry sir we don't accept cash - that's all I have is cash - sorry sir we don't accept US currency (?) Guy goes to walk out after they won't take his cash - restaurant calls the cops, customer says I tried to pay and they rejected my CASH, cop goes huh?  You think a judge is going to tell this poor dude, I sentence you to apply for an AmEx and a Visa and when you get approved you have 72 hours to pay the restaurant, and then you can take your "dirty cash" and sent it to the credit card company.

This Visa "policy" (bribe) is going to get tossed by the courts IMO as an unfair business practice. . 

Your hypothetical is hilarious and of course very persuasive.

But of course it wouldn't be implemented like that, at least in the long run; you would only be seated at a table after having placed a reservation through an automated system with a an approved hold to a valid credit card.

And any number of web- or app-based businesses already work in just that manner.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.