cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you shop at a store or restaurant that refuses to take cash?

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Would you shop at a store or restaurant that refuses to take cash?

Sarek is correct in that I don't think we will ever be a completely cashless society as there will always be certain people who will not qualify for a CC or bank account or for whatever reason will refuse to get either.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@morgacj2004 wrote:
Sarek is correct in that I don't think we will ever be a completely cashless society as there will always be certain people who will not qualify for a CC or bank account or for whatever reason will refuse to get either.

As long as there are strip clubs, we will never be a cashless society....

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see this going very bad for a lot of businesses. Technology is a gift & a curse! Too many issues can occur to run a cashless business. i.e Power outages, network failure, system overloads, etc.. Also with the 1-3 day delays on payments from credit cards.  

Message 33 of 37
marty56
Super Contributor

I would.  O/T What about checks?  They could have a valid reason not to take both.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 34 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anybody else watch Mr. Robot? Spoilers if you keep reading. Gist of the plot: all the big banks merge together and buy out every other bank. One bank now controls essentially every transaction, they even come up with their own currency to process internationally. Hackers destroy their database, everything shuts down. Everything reverts to cash. People are allowed to withdraw $50/day max. because the bank doesn't have any records of account balances. While this probably won't happen in the real US due to anti-trust laws, this is the fallout of a cashless society.

P.S., Amazon doesn't accept cash but we probably all shop there without a second thought. The only time I've used cash is for the occasional lottery ticket, and when the card readers were down at the supermarket a couple months ago. Everything else, why wouldn't I want to earn some cash back?

P.P.S., my current employer would charge $25 for each paper paycheck. So yes, most people are either forced or effectively forced into direct deposit. Not all banks pull Chex though. Of the two local banks (<10 branches) I deal with, only one pulled it.

Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

P.S., Amazon doesn't accept cash but we probably all shop there without a second thought. The only time I've used cash is for the occasional lottery ticket, and when the card readers were down at the supermarket a couple months ago. Everything else, why wouldn't I want to earn some cash back?

P.P.S., my current employer would charge $25 for each paper paycheck. So yes, most people are either forced or effectively forced into direct deposit. Not all banks pull Chex though. Of the two local banks (<10 branches) I deal with, only one pulled it.

I never thought of Amazon as  NO cash only.  

We still use paper checks for payroll for the staff. But that  is because staff is paid only based on completed contracts.  The payments are irregular.  I consiered a payroll service but it was not worth it for us.  Come work for our biz and we will give you a paper check (lol)  

I was out and about a few months ago and almost out of gas in very remote rural area(makes Smalltown look large)  . The gas was higher than normal so I only put in $10 to get me back to a "real" gas station.  They only took  cash.  I nearly fainted but just happened to have $10 on me.  A $20 dollar bill is the most I normally carry and sometimes less.   

Message 36 of 37
fiddycal
New Contributor

I never use cash, so this wouldn't bother me, but it seems to me they would have to take your credit/debit card before you sit down. I wonder if it would work like a gas station where they would pre-authorize it for a certain amount and then change it to the final bill at the end.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.