Established Contributor
MojaveMoon

Your ZIP code is your business

[ Edited ]

"Your ZIP code is your business

Most store clerks who ask for your ZIP code aren't concerned with security. They want to use it to sell you more stuff."

http://money.msn.com/shopping-deals/article.aspx?post=4dad1a9d-2040-44b5-9cb5-1fc3da7f12fe

Senior Contributor
MattH

Re: Your ZIP code is your business

Generally true, but as the article notes gas pumps are a major exception.  A while back, shortly after making several big-ticket purchases I bought gas.  When I got home, there was a message from the Security department of the credit card company on the phone.  They explained that a pay-at-the-pump fuel purchase right after a large purchase had triggered an alert, so they just wanted to verify that our big purchases were legit.  They said crooks like to use a fuel purchase to test whether a stolen card still works.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+