cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community feedback about Experian's decision to discontinue offering FICO scores on myFICO

tag
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Community feedback about Experian's decision to discontinue offering FICO scores on myFICO

@Anonymous wrote:
Experian is the most uncooperative and flawed credit scoring service in the business. This lack of cooperation is an example of their intention to hurt consumers.  This should be brought to the attention of the FTC and Congress to take action to sanction Experian.  At this perilous time in our economy, the consumer needs all the tools available to remain in command of their credit, and Experian has just denied one of those. 

Although most people don't want to hear it, the people we expect in the legislation to help us against companies like this have their hands in their pockets to begin with, so they will care less about the people and more about the perks they get. Why do you think we have so many corrupt officials getting kickbacks, not reporting income, not paying taxes while if anyone of us did it, we would be crucified. One hand washes the other and our hand is not in the mix. Any legislation that has come out to supposedly benefit us, has been laced with loop holes that allows companies like Experian to do exactly this right under its nose.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 271 of 681
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Community feedback about Experian's decision to discontinue offering FICO scores on myFICO

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for contacting us with your concern.  As you are already aware, Experian® has opted to discontinue its relationship with myFICO effective February 14, 2009.  We understand that this news is causing some concern among consumers. Please be aware that this change by no means eliminates your ability to obtain your credit score and assess your creditworthiness.  Please take a moment to read the following information which we hope will answer any questions you may have about how this development affects you.  There is no one credit score that all financial institutions use to make decisions and there is also no one credit score that consumers must use to help them understand and manage their credit.  There are many reputable credit scores on the market that you can use to evaluate your creditworthiness before making financial decisions. Such credit scores include VantageScoreSM, PLUS Score® and others which are developed by the three national credit reporting companies or third parties. All of these credit scores provide prediction of your credit risk.   You have many options for obtaining your credit score, and a few of those options are listed below:·         Experian.com provides the ability for you to obtain your three national credit reports and credit scores based on data from all three national credit reporting companies.·         AnnualCreditReport.com provides you with access to a free annual credit report from each of the national credit reporting companies as well as an option to purchase a credit score along with the report. This development has no impact on how lenders and other credit issuers evaluate your creditworthiness. Experian continues to offer its own scores, FICO scores and other credit risk scores to its business clients to enable their credit-granting decisions.For educational information about credit scores and managing your credit, please go to http://www.experian.com/consumer/credit_education.html. Thank you for your time. It is our sincere hope that this information has helped and alleviated any concern you may have felt.  

Experian Consumer Assistance Center

This email is generated from a system mailbox. Please do not attempt to reply or send email because we cannot receive it and you will not receive a response.  In order to protect your personal information, Experian does not provide assistance via unsecured email. 

This is the response I just received from an email I sent the other day with my concern as to not being able to obtain a fico score anymore. I guess its obvious why they are doing this now. Its BULL.  Ok if their score is sooo great then dont sell FICO scores to the lenders. Sell their Vantage & plus scores then!!!

what a load of bull....they can swallow this? Its all I could do not to puke reading this self serving web of lies and half truth wrapped in a pretty bow to shine the customer. Wow, no shame.

Message Edited by Guardian on 02-09-2009 01:23 PM

Message 272 of 681
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are many reputable credit scores on the market that you can use to evaluate your creditworthiness before making financial decisions. Such credit scores include VantageScoreSM, PLUS Score® and others which are developed by the three national credit reporting companies or third parties.

Bullfeathers

Now we know for sure why Experian is blocking the consumer from seeing his Experian FICO score. Their own scores have failed to gain acceptance by any lender or consumer. The consumers who have purchased Experian proprietary scores were tricked into believing that the scores were relevant by believing Experian disinformation like the "bullfeathers" contained in the email.

Experian is obviously tired of hearing their scores described as FAKO. Denying a consumer his option to view Experian FICO scores does not make Vantage or Plus scores any more relevant. The Experian scores are still fake even if we can't see our real scores.

Message 273 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

EXPERIAN READ THIS!!! 

Some else with a great mind wrote this "Flat out .... I will ask creditors what credit bureau that they use for their decisions ... if they respond experian than I will tell them directly that I will not do business with you nor apply for credit with you because experian does not provide consumers with their Fico score. 

The buck always stops at the end consumer!!! If a lender or creditor get enough negative feedback about experian then they will relay that back to experian or use a different bureau.

I have not been satisfied with the accuracy of Experian to begin with!"

I second this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's ludacris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 274 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wrote to our Senator explaining how this is anti-consumer at a time when they NEED all the tools they can get to manage their credit.  Nice, detailed letter asking that she look into introducing legislation extending the FCRA so it makes the ability to see your FICO score annually mandatory, not just your credit report.
Message 275 of 681
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Let us know how that goes or if you even hear back on it. Let's hope some secretary does't read your letter and responds with a canned letter that addresses nothing, my experience with elected officials in the past.

Message 276 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

very disappointed in not being able to view experian via 'my fico'... Will 'my fico' be reimbursing any of us that purchased access to all 3 for a year?  Also, just so I understand if we already purchased viewing before 2/13/09, will we be able to continue to view all 3 for the next year?
Message 277 of 681
alicias
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

But as long as they are still around, I will just make sure my free annual credit report is right with them, I'm not giving them any money outside of MyFico.com. $0.00.

I agree with the above member's opinon.  Experian is not getting any more of my money so long as they exclusively cater to lenders and shut-out consumers from accessing our own financial information.  Truth be told, when cleaning up errors on my own credit report less than six months ago it was the Experian report that contained the most errors (negative reporting, old/non-applicable data, typos, duplicates, you name it), was the most confusing report to read and provided the most rude reply to my correction request out of all the other agencies.

What troubles me the most is that I will no longer be able to correct how Experian botches my reported financial history if I am not able to pull my own report and scrutinize it.  I, too, will be asking lenders if they use Experian before doing business with them and I will tell those lenders that I have had the most problems with Experian's accuracy and assistance.

Message 278 of 681
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You can still pull your EX report --your full report directly from EX (you'll have to pay, unless you're disputing) or a secondary EX report, like what you got here, from other credit monitoring services.

The one thing that you won't be able to know is how the information on your Experian report translates into your EX FICO score.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 279 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

The EX decision perhaps complies with the letter of the law, but I daresay many in here and elsewhere are of the opinion it's not in compliance with the spirit of the law.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcrajump.shtm
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcradoc.pdf

Rather than attempting to examine the FCRA in a lawyerly fashion, I daresay the most immediately productive action would be to contact one's Congressional rep, two U.S. Senators, and file a complaint with the FTC. Let their attornies bang on this and let's see what's shakes out.

Dopey actions on the part of a CRA might bring about Congressional sanctions on the CRAs, EX in particular. That wouldn't be an entirely bad thing, now would it?

Here's a few places where you can complain.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/
http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtml
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10285339/
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/08/01/eveningnews/main15216.shtml
http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3068843
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/

Message 280 of 681
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.