cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community feedback about Experian's decision to discontinue offering FICO scores on myFICO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Community feedback about Experian's decision to discontinue offering FICO scores on myFICO

haulingthescoreup, as a moderator, you should call Kohl's Media Relations, and ask them the question. I'm sure you could get a proper answer from them.

Please direct any questions about Kohl's Media Relations to:

Phone: (262) 703-1335

Message 561 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Community feedback about Experian's decision to discontinue offering FICO scores on myFICO

The Kohl's-Vantage connection has been mentioned many times in other forums. One Kohl's cardholder requesting a CLI was told by a CSR that he would need an 810-820 score to qualify for the CLI, which would imply the higher Vantage scoring range was being used (an 810-820 Vantage score would be roughly equivalent to a 700 Fico score) ...

eta: I finally found the article stating that Kohl's uses Vantage:

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/not-all-credit-scores-created-equal-22986/

(Smart Money 05/01/2008)

from top of p.2:

Complicating matters futher, Experian and TransUnion also sell VantageScore, a credit score developed by the three credit bureaus and rolled out in 2006. In addition to a number, VantageScore assigns a letter grade, ranging from A to F. "The intent was to have scoring that the consumer could understand," explains Dennis Moroney, senior research analyst at TowerGroup. The bureaus say that hundreds of companies are testing or using VantageScore, but it's unclear exactly how many are, in fact, currently using it. (The only large business that Experian told us uses VantageScore today is Kohl's.)

Note that the article is a year old and simply quotes Experian, so who knows how current or accurate this is. I tucked this in here because of out mini-TJ about Kohl's and Vantage; couldn't figure out where else to put it that it would make sense. I didn't change any of Revike's post.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 04-25-2009 07:54 AM
Message 562 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

Either that, or they were using a FICO score and saying, in effect, "If you need it, you can't have it."

Apologies if that sounds cynical, but I have seen perfect-history players have their lines reduced by 90% for no reason at all in the recent past.

M

Message 563 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Either that, or they were using a FICO score and saying, in effect, "If you need it, you can't have it."

In the CSR story, it was a reasonable CLI request, and it's been reported that Kohl's has acknowledged they are using the Vantage score, so I don't think it was a BS don't-expect-an-approval response.

However, I agree there have been many other cases where CSRs have told customers they need unbelievably high scores for CLIs. A common situation is when someone initially qualifies for an AmEx card with a 650-700 score, then gets a CLD (usually for no apparent reason). Then, when they ask to have their CL restored to just what it was originally, they are told they need to wait 6 months and will need to have a 750 or 800 score for the CLI to be approved. I don't understand why the CSR can't just tell the customer "no, it will never happen" instead of feeding them a snobbish line of "you're not good enough" BS ...

Message 564 of 681
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

does myFICO offer EX credit reports? I know they can no longer offer EX FICO scores - but can I get at least reports so I know what and if I need to dispute something?
Message 565 of 681
fused
Moderator Emeritus

No, myFICO does not sell EX reports. If you want your EX report, you'll have to pull it directly from EX or annualcreditreport.
Message 566 of 681
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

gotcha - just read that in your info areas - What the heck does EX think they are doing?

it just seems weird - what is their reasoning? will they make more money this way?

Message 567 of 681
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, its all about the Greenbacks.
Message 568 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outrageous!  How is a person supposed to negotiate a better rate with their lender when you are missing one of the scores?  And, is there nothing we can do?  Picket at Experian's headquarters... wherever that is.  This was my first time getting my scores, and I can't even see them all!!  ARGH!

EQ  790 TU 770

Message Edited by childofsod82 on 04-04-2009 12:51 AM
Message Edited by childofsod82 on 04-04-2009 12:52 AM
Message 569 of 681
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice: forget Experian, and stockpile cash.  In a liquidation economy, cash is king.  Oh, there are still places too snooty to take my cash because my credit score is hosed, but they'll come around once the economy goes down another couple notches.  I tried to rent an apartment and they turned their noses up at me, but I found another place by using some connections...and cold, hard cash.  I figure if I build six months to a year of reliable rental history, I can go back to the place I actually wanted, and tell them that for all that time they could have been getting paid, but they thought they were too good for my money.  By then they may be getting pretty hungry...

The era where credit dominates commerce is drawing to a close.  Oh, credit will probably survive, but at a much lower level, and far less accessibly.  Once all the fiat money the government is using to prop up the banks dries up, we'll go back to a cash economy.  20% down will get you a house, regardless of FICO score.  Other consumer goods, like cars, you'll pay cash for.  Since all the fake money will be pulled out of the system, look for prices to keep falling.  There were a lot of baubles that were seriously overpriced because hordes of shoppers with plastic were chasing them.  That's close to being done with.  Ditto for homes costing eight or nine years of wages rather than the four or five that's the historical norm.  The rest of that was fiat money.

So I say let Experian keep their super-secret scores.  I've got no skin in the credit game anymore.  By 2019 (which is when my credit score will recover from the judgment going onto it), I figure my standing with my neighbors and community will count for far more than the opinion of whatever, if anything, is left of Experian.

Message 570 of 681
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.