Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Re: Take the FICO Fitness Challenge!

About two years ago, my hubby and I started working toward purchasing our home and we began saving all the money we could, paid off what little debt (aside from student loans) we had, took our lunches to work, never went out, and listened to Dave Ramsey.  I haven't used my Capital One card since 12/08 and it feels great! I do use a Chase MC for everyday purchases and it's paid in full each month. I hope to stop using it so much and just use a cash allowance to save more money. Currently we have one car paid for since 8/09 and the other one will be paid for next month.  We have been in our home for a year. I lost my job in 9/09 but we have been able to maintain our lifestyle without credit and continue to pay off debts. It feels good to be able to tackle our student loans even while I am out of a job.  I am still not satisfied with my FICO score, so my goal is to increase it from 677 to 750.  I hope that by paying off my Chase MC and using cash, I will see a difference in my score. If anyone else listens to Dave Ramsey, you will understand this: I'm ready to live like no one else so that I can live like no one else!" At 30 and 29, my husband and I are focused on saving for retirement. I don't mind being thrifty now so that we can enjoy our lives later!

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: 677
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

I first started tracking my FICO score (700) in Aug 2005.  Stayed about the same for 2 years and then Sept 2007-Oct 2009 was in the 750 range.  Since Oct. 2009 have been in the high 700's.  Goal is to get over 800.  I have A LOT of credit card debt but also a very high limit and always pay on time.  I have been paying off one card at a time while paying minimums on the others that have low rates until I can start on those.  This was the first year that we had less debt on Jan 1 than Dec 1 (history of spending too much on Christmas).  Anything that I charge now gets paid off that month.  Want to have nothing but mortgage debt in 3 years.  Still have school loans to pay off after the credit card debt is done.

Have been successful in saving and putting money away for retirement at the same time as I whittle away at the debt. It has been a very slow process and has required me to change my mind set regarding credit cards.  My major goal is for my children to learn from this and never get into this situation.

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 773
Goal Score: 800

New Visitor

Slowlybutsurely sounds like you have the right mindset to improving your credit score...although Dave Ramsey doesn't put much stock in credit scores if you have taken his course, you know what I mean.  He encourages cutting up your credit cards and living on a cash budget...and preplanning your budget each month.  My husband and I haven't used a credit card since his class in 2008 - though we had a mountain of debt to pay off...its only a hill size now...and our credit score has zoomed by continuing to snowball our debt.  We use a debit card for purchases to keep track of the money we spend, but no more credit cards for us!  Dave Ramsey rocks!  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 833
Current Score: 833
Goal Score: 850

Highlighted
Established Member

[ Edited ]
This forum is incredible  On 2/10 my score was 579 I got my tax refund 2/12 paid off all my credit cards and man my score definitely improved.  0 to low balance is key!  On 2/17 I pulled my score again for EQ only and it's now 614.  I am only going up from here I do not want to fall back down! My goal for 2010 is a fico score of 720 and I can achieve this.  I have one baddie thats been dragging me down for years that's due to fall off in July so I'm hoping my goal will be met before the end of the year.
Message Edited by vsweetee1 on 02-24-2010 09:58 PM

Starting Score: 579
Current Score: FICO EQ659,EX682,TU725
Goal Score: 750

Moderator Emeritus

vsweetee1 wrote:
This forum is incredible  On 2/10 my score was 579 I got my tax refund 2/12 paid off all my credit cards and man my score definitely improved.  Utilization is key!  On 2/17 I pulled my score again for EQ only and it's now 614.  I am only going up from here I do not want to fall back down! My goal for 2010 is a fico score of 720 and I can achieve this.  I have one baddie thats been dragging me down for years that's due to fall off in July so I'm hoping my goal will be met before the end of the year.

Congrats and good for you! Keep fighting!Smiley Happy

Credit Profile - FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 27 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: TU 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring World Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Signature Visa ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa

1) My FICO score goal for 2010 is to make it to the 700 club! Smiley Wink  I've been close before but things have happened and knocked me off course...

2) According to ScoreWatch my current Equifax score is 491 Smiley Sad

3) I just paid off one credit card today (yay me!) but have a few more 'negatives' to work on.  I'm not exactly sure what my plan is except to continue to pay off debt, only use one credit card (and keep the balance LOW but not zero) and see how it goes...  Reading posts in this forum has definitely helped me better understand the credit card game so I won't make some of the same mistakes again.

Good Luck everyone!

~Jazz   

Starting Score: 491
Current Score: 491
Goal Score: 700

Score just jumped 50+ points!!!!

Took my util from 92% down to 3% and saw my score jump from 589 to 642 in one month Smiley Happy

I'm well on my way to the 700 Club

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 642
Goal Score: 700+

size="1">Take
the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member

I did it! Its been three years since I first started working on my credit and this weekend I reached the 700 club! Yaaay for me  Smiley Very Happy! Now I will reset my fitness goal to work on maintaining and reaching 730.  

AD  

Contributor

1. Your FICO score goal for 2010                                 EQ FICO 660 TU FICO 700

2. Your current FICO score(s)                                      EQ FICO 2/11//10 623, TU FICO 2/11/10 666

3. The steps you plan to take to achive your goal          Continue with on time payment history, work on last to paid collections to be removed

Starting Score: EQ 623 (1/28/10) TU 666 (1/28/10)
Current Score:  EQ 666 (3/4/10) TU 708 (3/4/10)
Goal Score:    EQ 680TU 700

This is a great idea! I need support lol. I'm 25 and dealing with student loans and the credit card pain from youthful ignorance(they really need to have financial responsibility classes in high school senior year!)

1) I'd like to get my score above 700. Maybe 720ish.

2) My current EQ is 664, not sure about TU

3) I'm going to (a) attack my credit card debt with a mighty force! (b) Be a good girl and stick to the lovely budget I made for myself. I think if I do this I'll be ok!

Starting Score: 644 (2/26/10)
Current Score: 755 (7/31/12)
Goal Score: 800

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.