Contributor

Re: Take the FICO Fitness Challenge!

:smileysad: oh well. I tried to make it to 700 but the banks had other ideas. Since I transferred a cc balance to my new credit union CC, Chase got pissed and dropped my credit line like a stone. I knew I'd take a hit opening a new CC and doing a balance transfer but I think Chase lowered the line for spite (I guess it didn't help I cussed a branch manager out IN PERSON last month for their bad business practices) . Eh **bleep** them. :smileywink: Next year....there'll be next year. Always good for a comeback!

hr> src="http://i.imgur.com/LEYWe.png">Starting Score: TU 610 EQ 655 - 8/2010
Current Score: EQ 714 9/13 EXP 708 8/13 TU 717 8/13
Goal Score: too much of a yoyo, maintain the 700's for 2013

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

Yes this is where time is on your side when it comes to credit scores. 

IMO bringing down your UTIL will improve your scores also and depending on how high your UTIL is now it may pass you over the hump for the 700 club anyway.

Keep up the good work and progress it will pay off in the end. :smileyhappy:

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Moderator Emeritus

Errin1 wrote:

:smileysad: oh well. I tried to make it to 700 but the banks had other ideas. Since I transferred a cc balance to my new credit union CC, Chase got pissed and dropped my credit line like a stone. I knew I'd take a hit opening a new CC and doing a balance transfer but I think Chase lowered the line for spite (I guess it didn't help I cussed a branch manager out IN PERSON last month for their bad business practices) . Eh **bleep** them. :smileywink: Next year....there'll be next year. Always good for a comeback!

I don't think Chase singled you out for transferring your balance or chewing out one of their employees.  My guess is that they did one of their routine reviews (Chase does this to me every year), saw the new account (which might have had a high balance from the BT - just speculating) and their computers said, "New account with high balance right off the bat?  This could be trouble."  Didn't matter that the balance was originally theirs - all they see is the new account with the balance.  Thus, they cut your credit limit to protect themselves against some perceived risk.

New Contributor

I'd like to revise my goal from a credit score of 750 to 800. 

I have four credit cards.  I am close to paying off 2.  A Discover card where I've made the last payment (promotion 0.0%); an American Express, limit $26,500 and balance of $8,300 (15.24%); a Bank of America, limit $24,200 and balance of $15,500 (8.99%); and, a credit union Visa, limit $22,000 balance $18,000 (9.90%).   The credit union Visa is my emergency card. 

I'd like to do another balance transfer to pay down the BoA account to $8,000 from Discover at 0% for 12 months which will mean the utilization with be lowered on all 3 cards.  The fee for this transfer is $450, but the interest I accumulate for the BoA card is $120 per month, I will pay less in interest.  I am not charging anything on the first 3 cards and only minimal purchases on the credit union Visa, which is why the utilization is high.  I've eliminated more than a few cards this year and believe by June of 2011 the Discover, AM, and the BoA 3 cards will be paid off. 

I do have another offer from another credit union where they will only charge me 5% interest for all balance transfers under $10,000; however, if I move an entire balance it will increase my utilization.  There is no fee for this transfer.  If I move 1/2 of one of the high balances to this particular credit card, it will decrease my score because I haven't used the card in a while and it will increase the number of cards I have in use and with a balance to 5 cards instead of 4. 

Any advise for the above scenarios would be appreciated.  I'm trying to increase my score faster by any means possible. 

Thanks. 

2010 Original Goal 750

Starting Score: EQ 1/2010, 699; EXP 12/09, 723; TRANS 11/09, 710
Current Score(Updated from tri-merge mtge 1/21/11): EQ 1/11, 729; EXP 1/11, 759; TRANS 1/11, 731
Goal Score: EQ 12/2011, 800; EXP 12/2011, 800; TRANS 12/2011, 800

Hello all!! I am new!! I would love to be apart of the FICO challenge '11!! Should I just start by using the fico challenge 10 model?? Please contact me and let me know. I am so ready to get my life back on track!! The economy has not been kind to me! :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: EQ:561 TU:? EX:?
Current Score: EQ:613 TU:? EX:?
Goal Score: EQ 700 by 12/2011

[ Edited ]

Going to also try to join with the 2011 challenge.  Started in 09/2010, so hopefully will reach my goal in 09/2011.  My question is once you get all your CC's balances to zero, what else can you do to improve your score... besides just wait.

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 625
Goal Score: 700

Moderator Emeritus

micahb wrote:

Going to also try to join with the 2011 challenge.  Started in 09/2010, so hopefully will reach my goal in 09/2011.  My question is once you get all your CC's balances to zero, what else can you do to improve your score... besides just wait.

Welcome to the forums! Aside from waiting, you can always review what you have and tweak your reports as needed. Maybe there are some bad accounts that can be taken care of. Maybe $0 balances aren't the best for your profile; sometimes leaving a small balance on one CC works best. Maybe your mix of credit could use some improving assuming you only have a card or two, or none. You'll hit your goal. Read in these forums and you'll get an idea of how best to improve your scores. This is one of my favorite threads: Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

[ Edited ]

ok i will play - my current equifax score is 593 as of 12/242010

my goal for 2011 is 650 or better lol

I recently recieved a revolving credit account, new orchard bank cc.  Baddies include many late pays and a 25k charge off by GMAC and a couple of bank charge offs that will be paid in 2011. 

I have been told to get a Kia because they use job as credit reference, IDK would that help.  I recently aquired a great job (forutune 200 company) in 2010 after a dismal 2009.  I have the financial ability to pay off most of the baddies with the exeption of the GMAC loan, should expire in 2012 anyway....

msdraglox: do you know how your FICO score increased by 50 points in a two-month period.?

Contributor

No.... Chase did it because I've been fighting with them for a year and I'm making moves to leave their awful bank.

I was a WAMU customer and had no problems until Chase took over and raised my APR for no reason. I have been asking them to decrease my APR for over a year and what did they do....raise the APR again! Everytime I pay down my CC they would lower my credit line. I had enough and opened a credit card with my credit union and transferred my remaining balance with them. ( My utilization was at 18% but everytime they lowered my limit it would raise my utilization and my score would take a hit...it's all a sickening game) I also closed a CC with them (I had 2 CC accounts with WAMU) and closed my savings account. I am in the process of moving my mutual fund somewhere else and by Feb 2011 I will close my checking account with Chase. I loathe them and their business practices. 

My new goal in 2011....no credit cards. I'll stick with my Discover and PIF every month....just tired of the games these banks play.

hr> src="http://i.imgur.com/LEYWe.png">Starting Score: TU 610 EQ 655 - 8/2010
Current Score: EQ 714 9/13 EXP 708 8/13 TU 717 8/13
Goal Score: too much of a yoyo, maintain the 700's for 2013

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.