Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% interest loans?

tag
UKTone
New Contributor

0% interest loans?

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/0-car-loans.aspx How would you find these?

What are some 0% interest loans (mortgages, auto loans, personal loans, student loans, etc.)? The only ones I knew were federal student subsidized loans, which are based on financial need. Now I see there may be 0% interest auto loans. I wonder if there are others.

Starting Score: 03/17/2013 665 EQ 01/09/2013 EX 724 TU 739?
Current Score: 03/27/2013 682 EQ 01
Goal Score: 850 all three FICO scores, 900 Vantage score, max insurance scores, etc.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 0% interest loans?

@UKTone wrote:

What are some 0% interest loans (mortgages, auto loans, personal loans, student loans, etc.)? The only ones I knew were federal student subsidized loans, which are based on financial need. Now I see there may be 0% interest auto loans. I wonder if there are others.

These 0% loans are usually a promotion made by the auto manufacturer.. For example, a prime customer walks in and gets 0% on a new Chevy due to manufacturer rebates

They do these so that they can move out excess inventory, especially if people haven't been buying that model.   You usually won't see it on every vehicle a manufacturer makes, but you'll see it on some of their least popular models.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
gramps1968
New Contributor

So the dealership must reimburse the loan people somehow, since they are obviously making no profit on a 0% loan?

04/08/2013 TU 659 EQ 661

Goal score: 700
Message 3 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

@UKTone wrote:

Unless this is a new thing, I have never heard of federal student loans having a 0% interest rate.  You pay no interest on them whie you are in school, but that does not make them 0% loans.  Once you are out, you will most definitely pay interest.

Message 4 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@gramps1968 wrote:

So the dealership must reimburse the loan people somehow, since they are obviously making no profit on a 0% loan?

They do the loans themselves.  All the major manufactorers have their own financing arm.  Ford, Honda, BMW, etc.  (I think GM sold theirs off during restructering but don't hold me to that)

Message 5 of 9
gramps1968
New Contributor

Just curious as to what kind of credit score one would need to qualify for a 0% loan?

04/08/2013 TU 659 EQ 661

Goal score: 700
Message 6 of 9
UKTone
New Contributor

@gramps1968 probably over 700, but I would assume income would play at least a slightly bigger part in getting it.

And they are selling a car, in which they don't pay even half the amount to build the car. I also know that many dental/orthodontics (specifally) allow 0% for loans from 6-12 months, anything longer will likely have interest. I'm going to see if I can still get this Monday, since I didn't see it until I went in the hallway.

Starting Score: 03/17/2013 665 EQ 01/09/2013 EX 724 TU 739?
Current Score: 03/27/2013 682 EQ 01
Goal Score: 850 all three FICO scores, 900 Vantage score, max insurance scores, etc.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@gramps1968 wrote:

Just curious as to what kind of credit score one would need to qualify for a 0% loan?

I think it depends on the car/manufacturer as well as the dealer, but I've seen those ads and read the fine print stuff at the bottom of the page, and there's almost always a reference to "well qualified customers" and sometimes a score mentioned...I've seen 720/740 mentioned several times in such ads, so I think that would be a good ballpark score needed, something over 720 most likely. 

Message 8 of 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

@gramps1968 wrote:

They do the loans themselves.  All the major manufactorers have their own financing arm.  Ford, Honda, BMW, etc.  (I think GM sold theirs off during restructering but don't hold me to that)

Yup, GMAC was sold to Ally Financial.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.