Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1-800-955-7070 Capital One or Scam?

tag
scrambler
Contributor

1-800-955-7070 Capital One or Scam?

I just receive a call from this number claiming is from Capital One. I'm wondering if anybody is receiving calls from similar number. The guy was talking about recent offer that Capital One gave me and asking if I want to make a balance transfer. I told him I already took the offer and not willing to max out my CL.

I asked him to raise my CL if they want me to make any further purchases on the account and he agreed to send my request forward.

Well, as expected, he confirmed my zip code, but I was expecting him to ask for my SS # after which I will raise the red flag and tell him thanks but no thanks. If it gets to SS#, then I will call Capital One myself.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: 1-800-955-7070 Capital One or Scam?

That is Capital One's number

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 10
scrambler
Contributor

Alright. The guy was probably trying to pull a trick on me. I will be getting a credit step increase on the Capital One account in about two weeks when the the 7th statement cut.

He was asking me to make a BT on the remaining balance on the account, if I'm stupid enough to say yes, then he will go ahead and make it, and once the 3% BT fee is tag on top of that, I will shoot over the CL leading to an AA. Then all  the terms on the CC will change. I will lose all the 0% BT offer and APR will shoot over the roof.

I already done the calculation myself and I said no thanks. II told him if you can double my CL, then I will use the card for purchases and not another BT again.

When did CCC started all these kind of tricks? If you want me to do business with you, then give me a CL higher or at least equivalent to other lenders or at least a lower APR.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same phone call a minute ago.  I applied for a credit card, received it but did not activate it.  A man who called me asked me for my date of birth.  I asked him why he is asking this question.  He said that he want to verify whether I got the card.  I asked him how my date of birth is going to help him to verify whether I got the card.  He did not answer and his voice started shaking.  I told him that I am going to activate the card myself.  I called this phone number and I got to Capital One.  Honestly, I am very surprised by this phone call and this question.  I am going to investigate further. 

An update: I went to the Capital One website.  This is their phone number.  I called them up.  They said it is possible that somebody from their office was calling me.  His voice also started trembling.  He said that the right thing to do would be to hang up and to call Capital One directly.  Again, I am surprised with this question.

Message 4 of 10
ptkdude
Regular Contributor

I think it's important to keep in mind that while that is Capital One's phone number, Caller ID information can be faked. Never give personal information to someone who has called you. If you think it's Capital One calling, look up their number on your own and call them back.
Message 5 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Here's a good way to know ~ if they claim to be from Cap1 and respond with anything other than NO WAY when you ask for a CLI, it's very likely that they are scamming you.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
Here's a good way to know ~ if they claim to be from Cap1 and respond with anything other than NO WAY when you ask for a CLI, it's very likely that they are scamming you.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Message 7 of 10
chan85
Established Contributor

@scrambler wrote:

Alright. The guy was probably trying to pull a trick on me. I will be getting a credit step increase on the Capital One account in about two weeks when the the 7th statement cut.

He was asking me to make a BT on the remaining balance on the account, if I'm stupid enough to say yes, then he will go ahead and make it, and once the 3% BT fee is tag on top of that, I will shoot over the CL leading to an AA. Then all  the terms on the CC will change. I will lose all the 0% BT offer and APR will shoot over the roof.

Are there some cards that have BT fees for cap1? All mine are always fee-less....

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 8 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@scrambler wrote:

I just receive a call from this number claiming is from Capital One. I'm wondering if anybody is receiving calls from similar number. The guy was talking about recent offer that Capital One gave me and asking if I want to make a balance transfer. I told him I already took the offer and not willing to max out my CL.

I asked him to raise my CL if they want me to make any further purchases on the account and he agreed to send my request forward.

Well, as expected, he confirmed my zip code, but I was expecting him to ask for my SS # after which I will raise the red flag and tell him thanks but no thanks. If it gets to SS#, then I will call Capital One myself.

Thats a legit number for their CC's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although this thread is dead and old, it was one of the first results I got when searching the phone number on Google, so I wanted people to be aware that there is something called Caller ID spoofing.

The phone number in question is indeed one owned by Capital One.

HOWEVER, when you make an outboound call it is possible to spoof your Caller ID with anything you'd like. When a company calls you and asks for personal information, always look up their phone number and call them back instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.