Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 credit card reported twice on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 credit card reported twice on credit report

I have a credit card that is being reported by 1 agency with the first digits of the card, and then the same card being reported by the 2 other agencies by the last digits of the card.  It makes it appear that they are 2 separate accounts on my credit report.  Is this effecting my credit score, and if so how do I go about removing the discrepancy?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: 1 credit card reported twice on credit report

So you are saying that it is one each CR once? One CRA lists it by the first few digits and the other two CRA list it by the last few?

If that is true, how do you come to the conclusion that appears to be two different accounts? Are you looking at a "combined" credit report where these appear on two different lines?

Message 2 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a credit card that is being reported by 1 agency with the first digits of the card, and then the same card being reported by the 2 other agencies by the last digits of the card.  It makes it appear that they are 2 separate accounts on my credit report.  Is this effecting my credit score, and if so how do I go about removing the discrepancy?

It sounds like the report you're looking at combines all 3 reports.

If it is only on each report once, then no, there is no discrepancy.  If your report viewer shows them as a different account, that will only affect how you see it.  Most credit card apps get only 1 report anyway.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are correct.  I am looking at a combined report, and 1 card appears on two different lines.  Is this effecting my credit score?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a few accounts that do that as well.

Because they don't use the entire account number for security purposes, your merged report isn't putting them on the same line.  But when the account only reports once for each CRA, it is not affecting your FICO score.

Message 5 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are correct.  I am looking at a combined report, and 1 card appears on two different lines.  Is this effecting my credit score?

No, everything is fine.

You wouldn't really even see it on a normal CRA report. It is just because they are combining 3 CRA reports into one that you notice that they are using different partial account numbers to identify the same account.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.