Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Years

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10 Years

I have a credit card that i opened 10 years ago I though that after 10 years it was suppose to be removed ?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: 10 Years

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a credit card that i opened 10 years ago I though that after 10 years it was suppose to be removed ?

Was the account closed exactly 10 years ago? If not, it will report a maximum of 10 years after the CLOSING date, + or - a few months.

Message 2 of 4
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

Quite the contrary. You can keep your credit card for the rest of your life if you wish. 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no provision of the FCRA that mandates or prevents deletion of OC accounts from consumer credit files/reports based on age.

The ten year period is strictly an internal housekeeping determination made by the CRAs to purge their database of old information that they consider to no longer be of value to their customers.  They apparently assume that after an account has been closed for approx 10 years, all of the normal CR exclusion periods have most likely expired, and thus they see no value to credtiors in viewing the account.  That of course ignores the impact on consumers, who lose the account in their age of accounts computation, and possibly their oldest account.  I guess they dont consider consumers to be their customers.

There really is no "rule."  Some, including myself, have had accounts remain in my report for up to 17 years after closure.  It's kinda hit and miss.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.