Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 months but AAoA is in tenths of a year - question

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

12 months but AAoA is in tenths of a year - question

My recent app spree lowered my AAoA on EQ from 10.1 to 9.9.  Since 1 month doesnt really equate to 0.1 (12 months but AAoA measured in tenths of a year), would the start of November bring my AAoA back to 10.0 years?  I have 30 accounts with 9.9 AAoA right now.  (the underlying question is whether I should expect a score boost when my AAoA goes back over 10 years? I cant tell if I had score hit for it going below as I had high utilization report at same time due to hurricane storm damage repair.)

Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: 12 months but AAoA is in tenths of a year - question

With that many accounts in the equation my bet would be that you would return to 10 with next months roll around. The AAoA does not appear to be dependent on the accounts reporting for the month but rather the passage of time and the age of the specific accounts. I don't believe we have ever established a proven number of years where there is a point boost for age. I believe that I have read anecdotally that more than 3 and more than 5 (or 6?) seems to provide a boost to some members. I don't recall reading anything about 10 years being a significant factor but YMMV.

In credit reporting there is often such a variety of factors in play (utilization, inquiries, new accounts aging, etc.) that it is difficult to attribute a score change to one factor. The only one I know for sure is a brand new delinquency will tank you and I'm not eager to find out by how much.Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 2 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Assuming you are at exactly 9.9 years (i.e., there is no rounding going on there), one more month won't take you over.  You have 297 years of total history, you'll get another 2.5 years with one month across 30 accounts, bringing you to 299.5.  299.5/30 = 9.98.  If you're actually slightly above 9.9, you'll probably cross the 10 year mark.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Just do the math if you want specifics...7.8 yrs for example would be 7 years plus X months. 0.8 = X months / 12 months = 9.6 months. So, 7 years 9 months.

BTW, cross-reference your EQ report from Equifax.com with your myFICO report from time to time. A couple of times I found that Equifax.com's AAoA to be inaccurate.

ETA....YMMV on the score change. On November 1 your AAoA will hit 10 years (as seen by FICO). You might see an increase due to the aging of your new TL(s), but I don't think your AAoA alone will improve your score because you have new accounts reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.