cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12k of credit card debt at 9.99% Do personal loan APR's improve much upon that?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

12k of credit card debt at 9.99% Do personal loan APR's improve much upon that?

So the wife & I had a very expensive last year, getting married, moving across the country, having her out of work for 6 months. We currently have 12k of credit card debt (down from 16k) at 9.99% APR. We're paying off 800-1k a month, so estimated repayment time is 12-18 months. Do personal loan APR's usually give a much better APR than 9.99? Is it worth doing? Are there any banks that give particularly good APR? 

I know a lot depends on credit profile. My free fico scores from my credit cards range from 712-730. I'm cosigned on my wife's car loan which is 7.5k / 9.3k. Screen shotting my CK is probably simpler than going through everything. Any suggestions are welcome.

CK scores

CK snapshot

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: 12k of credit card debt at 9.99% Do personal loan APR's improve much upon that?

You can browse around at rate ranges for loans with different lenders but the rate you'll actually get will definitely depend on your credit profile.  I can't tell you what you'd stand to get by looking at your info as I'm not an underwriter for these products.  Additionally, CK's Age of Credit History only considers open accounts whereas FICO considers both open and closed accounts for AAoA.

Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic but you can look at the lowest rates offered and do the math to see what the difference would be for you.  Keep in mind that would be a best case scenario.

Message 2 of 4
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: 12k of credit card debt at 9.99% Do personal loan APR's improve much upon that?

Any BT offers from other lenders with 0% APR for 18 months and low BT fee?   Or consider a BT card with no BT fees?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You probably won't do much better than 9.99%, but it doesn't hurt to check rates with the various soft pull web lenders.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.