cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$13 medical bill driving down EQ 75-100 points

tag
rober864

$13 medical bill driving down EQ 75-100 points

My wife and I are both 26 years old, we have been employed full time for 3.5 years and have a combined gross income of $145,000.

We were running our credit reports in preparation for our first mortgage which we will be appying for sometime this year (when we find the house that we like).

My TU and EX came back at 745 and 770, respectively, but by EQ came back at 666. It had a $13 collection for a medical bill on it, and I am assuming that this is why the  EQ score is suffering. I called the collection agency and asked for a Pay for Delete letter, is this the right thing to do? Should I dispute the collection with Equifax? I do not understand why this one $13 collection is dragging my EQ score down almost 100 points. My wife's credit scores came back very high, and I do not want to miss out of the best rates because of this silly medical bill. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: $13 medical bill driving down EQ 75-100 points

First question, are those scores from a mortgage lender?

If those are your FICO scores and it is only reporting on EQ, yes, it is very possible that one collection is dragging down your score.

Did they agree to the PFD?

Welcome to the forums.

Message 2 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

And if those scores are from a mortgage lenders pulls then no need to get overly worried about 1 bad score. The lenders will almost always pull all three and use the middle score for qualifying and setting rates. It would still be a good idea to try and get rid of this blemish just for your own peace of mind and to avoid having to write a letter of explanation for such a minor amount.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@rober864 wrote:

I called the collection agency and asked for a Pay for Delete letter, is this the right thing to do?

Have you visited the rebuilding subforum?  Here's a thread linked in one of its stickies:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-Steps-Do-I-Take-Do-I-DV-PFD/td-p/337142

My understanding (and I how I handled one of my derogs) is that you send the PFD letter to the CA versus requesting that the CA provide the PFD letter.

@rober864 wrote:

Should I dispute the collection with Equifax?

Do you have a solid basis for dispute?

@rober864 wrote:

I do not understand why this one $13 collection is dragging my EQ score down almost 100 points. 

It's a collection.

Message 4 of 9
G_kwr

If $13 is the high balance of that debt then it should not be listed on your CR at all. If it was higher at one time then you should use a pay for delete startegy.

Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@G_kwr wrote:

If $13 is the high balance of that debt then it should not be listed on your CR at all. If it was higher at one time then you should use a pay for delete startegy.

What do you mean it should not be listed?  It is a collection account.

Message 6 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@G_kwr wrote:

?????????

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Repo-ed wrote:

@G_kwr wrote:

?????????

I think what they are getting at is some of the new scoring models don't factor in medical debts less than $100.  It doesn't mean they can't be reported.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

@G_kwr wrote:

?????????

I think what they are getting at is some of the new scoring models don't factor in medical debts less than $100.  It doesn't mean they can't be reported.

That is what I thought he meant but wanted to make sure.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.