Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 Year Old Medical Bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

14 Year Old Medical Bill

We recently received a letter from a collection agency for a 14 year old medical bill in the amount $28.00. My wife called the agency who requested proof it was paid!!! Who keeps records for 14 years???? The bill has not appeared on my credit report.

Does this fall under the normal reporting time limitations?

My wife called them and refused to pay it, and accused them of fraud.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 14 Year Old Medical Bill

Never ever talk to a CA!!!!!! (on the phone). Why? They often record what you are say and it is easy to get flustered. Also, a CA's word is not their bond. Also, calling them automatically gives them your phone number.

I'm certain with 14 years gone, you are way past SOL. Legally, if they try to sue, you would have to answer the summons and maybe even go to court, but they cannot win. (Think very likely won't ever happen.)

And with 14 years gone, it is 7 years beyond CRTP. It won't ever appear on your CR.

However, CAs, even past SOL and CRTP, can continue to try to collect forever. I would DV them anyway CMRRR ASAP. With a DV letter, they cannot engage in collection activity. They won't call or send you annoying letters. But they can sell your info to another and another and so on.

Just be 100% certain that this $28 paid debt is 14 yrs old. It seems strange that they would waste time collecting this. They will certainly spend $28 in labor and postage going after it.

ALSO, BTW, double check your SOL. It seems like I saw one state that had a separate provision regarding the SOL on medical. You'd have to snoop around.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally.................if it were me and the medical bill was for sure that old....and only for $28.00.....I'd send them cease and desist letter and if they contacted again then they will be in violation.

There is no law on how long they can try to collect. The only laws govern how long they can report on your CR and take action to get legal enforcement to pay.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep- Send them the FOAD letter

sidewinder wrote:
Personally.................if it were me and the medical bill was for sure that old....and only for $28.00.....I'd send them cease and desist letter and if they contacted again then they will be in violation.

There is no law on how long they can try to collect. The only laws govern how long they can report on your CR and take action to get legal enforcement to pay.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.