cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17yr old Sisters medical bills from parents car accident sent to collections??!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

17yr old Sisters medical bills from parents car accident sent to collections??!!

She was 17 at the time of the accident and ambulance call / hospital visit. It was in December 2009. Apparently a few months ago, she started getting calls and letters from collections. I just found out or I would have had her send debt validation letter within 30 days. The accident was a multicar accident on the freeway, I believe some of the other drivers left. There was a pack of dogs on the freeway and my parents were hit from theback and side, the car was totaled and I believe they got a pay out for the car, and for my father and minor brothers medical bills. They are working with a lawyer I believe from the insurance company and there was some sort of dispute about being charged for 2 ambulances even though my mom and sister rode in the same ambulance. My mom is also getting collection activity. I'm still trying to sort out the details and help them, they don't speak english and aren't well versed on the systems here. But they can't be doing collections on my sister can they? She was a passenger and a minor. What can she do? My parents had no health insurance.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 17yr old Sisters medical bills from parents car accident sent to collections??!!

The bills are totaling like $18,000 and there is just no way my parents could ever pay that, even in payments.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 17yr old Sisters medical bills from parents car accident sent to collections??!!

Oh, and it's in California =)
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would assume that since your sister was a minor at the time, she was not legally responsible to the creditor. As such, I would tend to agree that reporting her as a responsible consumer for collection of a debt that was not legally hers would not be appropriate.  It appears that the reporting should be restricted to your parents' CR.

If the OC has also posted to her CR, I would begin with a direct dispute addressed to them for incorrect credit reporting.  I would also send a direct dispute to the debt collector, disputing their collection reporting on the grounds that the debt they are attempting to collect was not hers.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.