cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st GW letter attempt. Please critique (but be kind to a sensitive soul)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st GW letter attempt. Please critique (but be kind to a sensitive soul)

This is a brainstorming, rough draft to be sent to CA. Any input would be appreciated!

To Whom It May Concern,

I, like most others trying to exist in this crazy world we live in, have had to face difficult times in my life. The years 1997-2001 were very trying for me and those difficulties left me with financial woes that I quite honestly believed I would never survive. During that time, my priorities were disordered and I made poor decisions. At the time I didn’t know how to handle things or were to turn for help. I was lost. The final blow for me was finding out I had a potentially serious medical problem that required surgery. My work hours at that time had been shortened to the point where I lost my health insurance benefits leaving me with overwhelming financial obligations which I could not meet. I had no choice but to file for bankruptcy.

That decision was a very difficult one for me to make. It was humiliating and I felt like a failure as a human being. I vowed to myself then that I would never, ever be in that position again. The experience changed my life in many ways.

It has been a long road to rebuild. And since that time, I have not had a single late payment. I guard my credit very closely and have brought my children up to do the same by using my negative experiences as a positive teaching tool for them.

On reviewing my credit report in preparation for purchasing a home I found that you hold 2 paid collection accounts that linger from that bad time in my life. I realize that this may be an unusual request but I am asking for you to consider deleting these accounts from Experian, Equifax and Transunion in an act of good will. Both are due to drop from reports in November, 2008, but my search and purchase of a home cannot wait until then.

I do appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1st GW letter attempt. Please critique (but be kind to a sensitive soul)

You need to add the account numbers to it so they can refer to it quickly.  I prefer shorter GW letters (just my pref).  Also remember the older the account the less affect it has on your overall score.    I have copied one of my GW letters that has worked well for me.  GOOD LUCK TO YOUSmiley Happy

DATE

My name and address

Creditor or Collection Name

their address

Act # 3247926

I am writing this in the hopes that you can help me out.  I recently pulled my credit report and discovered an entry from your company concerning account number 3247926 a debt that was paid in full to you in 2002.  I realize that you have no obligation to report anything beyond what you have reported and that there is no financial gain for your company to do anything further than what you have already reported. However, the entry in my credit reports has affected my ability to secure more favorable credit lines.

I was hoping that in the spirit of goodwill you would consider deleting this entry from all credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion).  I hope that you will consider this and I look forward to hearing from you.  Please reply to the address listed above.

Thank you,

XXXXXXXXXXX

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.