cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 questions...

tag
river

2 questions...

1. I have a collection. The crediting agency (medical) had my address wrong. I did have contact with them once on the phone. I was turned over to a collection agency. I PFD the collection agency and they offered to show it as paid but not remove it. The crediting agency said they'd go to bat for removal but the collections agency won't do it. Since the address was wrong from the crediting agency do I have any more angles to work? Should I pay it to show it paid or keep pushing for removal?

2. I have an old late on a loan from my bank. A 60 because I paid it off in full on the next month. I asked for Goodwill since my bank has made two huge mistakes on my acct. They said that state law (Montana) doesn't allow them to remove this information. That doesn't seem right. Any insight? Thanks for the help. River

Message Edited by river on 01-04-2008 03:47 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: 2 questions...

I cant speak for the first question but the 2nd is a standard wrong answer.  Many people here were able to send a GW letter to the CCC to remove lates.  Many of those people tried the phone route only to get a similar answer like you got. 
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 9
river

Quote from thier web page... Due to privacy laws, MFCU can no longer make any corrections to your credit report on your behalf, even if we make the error on your report. For information on how to dispute an error on your credit report, you may call the following numbers:
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

river wrote:
1. I have a collection. The crediting agency (medical) had my address wrong. I did have contact with them once on the phone. I was turned over to a collection agency. I PFD the collection agency and they offered to show it as paid but not remove it. The crediting agency said they'd go to bat for removal but the collections agency won't do it. Since the address was wrong from the crediting agency do I have any more angles to work? Should I pay it to show it paid or keep pushing for removal? 2. I have an old late on a loan from my bank. A 60 because I paid it off in full on the next month. I asked for Goodwill since my bank has made two huge mistakes on my acct. They said that state law (Montana) doesn't allow them to remove this information. That doesn't seem right. Any insight? Thanks for the help. River

What do you mean by * crediting agency* ??  is this the accouting dept. from where you received medical help?   IF so:
Who owns the account?  Is the OC reporting as well as the CA??

If the OC owns the account then the OC can remove the account from the CA at any time (unless it was sold)

Every creditor that reports can.....update...add or delete info. from a CR...they CAN NOT report inaccrate info.   That is all that they can not do FEDERAL LAW!  State law doesn't mean anything. CRTP applies!

What is your SOL?    You should always DV a CA  before doing anything. A DV  should be sent  CMRRR!!!!!

A paid collection hurts scores as much as unpaid......you want a PFD!

Please read thread for newbies:

CRTP and SOL

simple SOL

Never talk to a CA...Never sign your name to a DV  just type your name!!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-04-2008 03:25 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-04-2008 03:26 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-04-2008 03:27 PM
Message 4 of 9
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

welcome river!

1) you most likely have rights under HIPAA if the event was anytime after early 2003.  Search this board and google for whychat HIPPA.  Deal with the OC first for PFD if they still own the debt. Send a medical DV CMRR to the CA.  Do not pay until you have all of this sorted and figured out. 

Medical collections are on the easy side of 'fixability'.

2) They have the ability to make a decision on a GW basis and this is not illegal, it's just not their obligation.  Take the request higher in the bank and use the mistake they made as a negotiator.  What bank was this?  If a major one, you might also be able to get assistance at with an online complaint to them thru planet feedback (google that).
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 5 of 9
river

Thanks for the insight.

Let me respond to few of the inquiries. My acryonyms and abbreviations are not quite up to speed yet. Although, I have done a good bit of reading throughout the site.

I'm not sure if the OC sold the acct. or not. It HAS been turned over to a CA. The OC is the medical provider. How can I tell who "owns" the debt?

As for the SOL it's about a year old. I will DV all of these immediately I did try the PFD first with the CA. I also tried GW first with the local credit union since I thought they'd be responsive.

For the bank, I will just keep moving up the ladder. It is a local credit union. I will look into hippa.

Thanks for the help it is appreciated.

River
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

call the OC ...they can tell you if they still own the account........IF they do pay them..........you do not need to bring up the CA with them.

Wait for about 2 weeks & be sure that the check has been cashed....You can... DV the CA (who doesn't have a leg to stand on) OR you can disput the CA with the CRAs........I would use the DV because the CRAs might just verify....it might save 1 step.

If the OC slod the account then you must deal with the CA.  In whice case you would   DV  CMRRR  after they answer...send them a PFD
Message 7 of 9
river

@Anonymous wrote:
call the OC ...they can tell you if they still own the account........IF they do pay them..........you do not need to bring up the CA with them.
Wait for about 2 weeks & be sure that the check has been cashed....You can... DV the CA (who doesn't have a leg to stand on) OR you can disput the CA with the CRAs........I would use the DV because the CRAs might just verify....it might save 1 step.
If the OC slod the account then you must deal with the CA. In whice case you would DV CMRRR after they answer...send them a PFD

Ok. I spoke with the OC. They told me I could pay them the amt. owed and then pay the CA the interest. Would I be stupid to assume this means that the OC still owns the debt and the CA is just an agent to collect?

If indeed the OC still owns the debt and I pay it--then DV the CA. Will the CA have to remove the "baddie" becuase it's not a debt anymore? That is what I read into regarding your "no leg to stand on" comment.

Thanks for the great help.
Message 8 of 9
river

HI Again,

Here is an update and a another question..

"call the OC ...they can tell you if they still own the account........IF they do pay them..........you do not need to bring up the CA with them.
Wait for about 2 weeks & be sure that the check has been cashed....You can... DV the CA (who doesn't have a leg to stand on) OR you can disput the CA with the CRAs........I would use the DV because the CRAs might just verify....it might save 1 step."

This was written in response to my first question. The OC did still own the account. I paid it and have the reciept. Now I am supposed to DV with the CA. Is this because the CA CANNOT vaildate the debt becuase it has been paid and they will HAVE to remove it?

Thanks
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.