Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Medical Bill Collection

tag
djshabazz
Valued Member

2006 Medical Bill Collection

I have a recent collection for 74.00 for a doctor visit.    Basically the OC stated that I can pay them but they won't agree to delete the file but just to report that it's paid in full.  If I pay this in full will this help or hurt my credit score since it's so recent?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2006 Medical Bill Collection

It will neither help your score, nor hurt it, if you pif them.

Case in point: I had a $69 hospital collection from 2005, and didn't know about it until I pulled my cr. I contacted ca and offered pfd. They said they would take my money, and mark it as "paid" but would not remove the baddie. I said no deal, and started negotiating with the hopsital.

Told them that I'd pif with cashier's check IF and ONLY IF they would delete the baddie.They initially refused.

And here is where I gambled: I told them that my credit has already been damaged, and that paying in full would not help my credit position(unless they deleted the baddie from cr), and with that being said, I have no motivation to pay them. I asked her to talk to her supervisor. She did and immediately agreed to MY terms. Took them cashier's check, but before I handed it to them, I insisted they give me an original duplicate of the letter to the CA instructing them to delete the baddie off my cr. They agreed....again. And the collection baddie was gone within 30 days.

That's just how I did. it

"Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way".
Message 2 of 7
djshabazz
Valued Member

Thanks.  I called the CA on this account and spoke to someone in management.  I got the telephone number from the account rep. at the OC's office.  He stated that he is only obligated to report the account with a zero balance but would have this entry removed from my credit report.  He also asked me to dispute it with Equifax so that I would have a double defense on getting it deleted.  He stated that it should be gone in 48hrs.  I placed a TC back to the OC (doctors office) and made the payment in full and was informed that they would contact the CA immediately to inform them of the PIF and send me a receipt in the mail.  This account was only reported to Equifax so I guess I'll know the outcome when I pull my reports next month.  If it's deleted fine, if not at least it's paid in full. 
Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

djshabazz wrote:
Thanks.  I called the CA on this account and spoke to someone in management.  I got the telephone number from the account rep. at the OC's office.  He stated that he is only obligated to report the account with a zero balance but would have this entry removed from my credit report.  He also asked me to dispute it with Equifax so that I would have a double defense on getting it deleted.  He stated that it should be gone in 48hrs.  I placed a TC back to the OC (doctors office) and made the payment in full and was informed that they would contact the CA immediately to inform them of the PIF and send me a receipt in the mail.  This account was only reported to Equifax so I guess I'll know the outcome when I pull my reports next month.  If it's deleted fine, if not at least it's paid in full. 

So you don't have the agreement to delete in writing from the OC?

Message Edited by fused on 11-27-2007 12:21 PM
Message 4 of 7
djshabazz
Valued Member

No they refused to sign a letter I faxed to them.  I am about to apply for a mortgage next month and don't have month's to wait on the process.  If they delete it fine, if not so be it.  At least it will be paid and I have a record of payment.  I don't plan on applying for any other credit in the near future. 
Message 5 of 7
Ausfarm
Regular Contributor

It will neither help your score, nor hurt it, if you pif them.

Case in point: I had a $69 hospital collection from 2005, and didn't know about it until I pulled my cr. I contacted ca and offered pfd. They said they would take my money, and mark it as "paid" but would not remove the baddie. I said no deal, and started negotiating with the hopsital.

Told them that I'd pif with cashier's check IF and ONLY IF they would delete the baddie.They initially refused.

And here is where I gambled: I told them that my credit has already been damaged, and that paying in full would not help my credit position(unless they deleted the baddie from cr), and with that being said, I have no motivation to pay them. I asked her to talk to her supervisor. She did and immediately agreed to MY terms. Took them cashier's check, but before I handed it to them, I insisted they give me an original duplicate of the letter to the CA instructing them to delete the baddie off my cr. They agreed....again. And the collection baddie was gone within 30 days.

That's just how I did. it

Sylviatob,

Who at the hospital did you speak with?  Do you remember the department?  Title of the person you spoke with?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ausfarm, I spoke to the csr assigned to my account. She talked to head of the department, her supervisor. It was all done in the billing dept of the hospital.

When I started negotiating, I did not take an adversarial stance. I rarely do in such circumstances, unless I detect that they want to play hard ball with them. Then I do.

In fact I did this one on the telephone(setting the deal up). And we corresponded via email.

"Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way"
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.